Hen has go Crazy Mad!!! What's the deal????

chickenfever417

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Nixa Mo
My Coop
My Coop
So we have 4 Chickens, one of our hens (Red sex link) has just began to chase, pluck feathers, fight 2 other hens. Her comb and woddles have become red in the past 2 weeks. I suspect she will be laying soon. Is this normal behavior? Will this behavior stop? She seems to have just gone MAD!!!! I feel so bad for my White Wyandotte that has gotten most of her fury. Ripping feathers out etc. It has never been a problem before the last few days and today being the worst.

They have a 3x4 hen house, and 42 square foot run (3x14) They do not free range, they trail mix grass and clover we grow for them. Lots of treats, veggies etc. It is so sad to watch her chase and fight

So we have 4 Chickens, one of our hens (Red sex link) has just began to chase, pluck feathers, fight 2 other hens. Her comb and woddles have become red in the past 2 weeks. I suspect she will be laying soon. Is this normal behavior? Will this behavior stop? She seems to have just gone MAD!!!! I feel so bad for my White Wyandotte that has gotten most of her fury. Ripping feathers out etc. It has never been a problem before the last few days and today being the worst.

They have a 3x4 hen house, and 42 square foot run (3x14) They do not free range, they trail mix grass and clover we grow for them. Lots of treats, veggies etc. It is so sad to watch her chase and fight
first of all: are you positive it's a hen? sounds a little... rooster-ish.
also, a little fighting is normal. but, constant feather plucking is not. if she's picking the feathers and eating them, she might be lacking in a mineral she needs, so you could try adding some oyster shell to her diet or feeding her a bit of egg yolk.
if the behaviour doesn't stop, you could separate her from the flock a couple days. maybe she just needs time to herself???

and... if her behaviour really doesn't stop... i had a rooster go crazy. he tried to kill one of my leghorns. after washing the nasty peck marks in her neck, she healed, but as for the rooster... well he's in the freezer now.

Yep, she is a hen. She has been chasing my WWD around for about an hour pulling feathers. Attaching her, got her cornered and bloodied her comb just a little. All seems to be calm now. This is the first time I have caught them in a fight. I have noticed a lot of feathers in the run lately. Now I know why!!!

I say she is a Red Sex Link but her mother is a mutt (white in color) Dad was a RIR.

I will keep a close eye out the next few days, I may have to separate them :(

i had the same problem.. four chickens raised together for three years then suddenly the biggest has it in for the smallest. separated for a week and a half- no help. So I turned the the coop into a co-op. Divided it down the middle including the house. 2 biggest on one side, two smallest on the other. done it today.

update...the aggressive hens hate me. when I approach they scramble as if I was looking at them for dinner. Never laid a finger on them. they keep pace with the hens on other side. constantly marching back and forth with them. No doubt frustrated. I find joy in that.

I especially like feeding meal worms to the smaller hens while the aggressors try to scare them away.

I think the aggressors must have suddenly lost their minds to become mean like they have. There is plenty of food, water, clean space, free range time and treats so who knows? Maybe I spoiled them.

Back
Top Bottom