Hen has inflamed red spots and losing feathers? Help!

Jun 27, 2019
Hello!
I’ve recently noticed one of my GLW (2 years old) has developed some bald spots. The skin in the area is really inflamed and red. She’s also been acting weird. She is separate from the rest of her flock most of the time and is very timid now. Also very skittish. She still has a good appetite though. I don’t know if the spots are from molting. It doesn’t look like molting to me because the others have molted and it doesn’t look similar. One of the spots seems to be getting worse. What is this? I’ve been spraying it with Miyocin (not sure how to spell it), it’s a spray for wounds on animals. Anything thing else I should be doing?

Attachments

• 3E451048-DDF6-4DAE-8F22-7C9BEA4BF459.jpeg
    3E451048-DDF6-4DAE-8F22-7C9BEA4BF459.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 5077C502-98D0-48D0-963D-D6FD7AE6C3EC.jpeg
    5077C502-98D0-48D0-963D-D6FD7AE6C3EC.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 28A18B5B-7E84-4C65-B8FA-52F2726D9C0F.jpeg
    28A18B5B-7E84-4C65-B8FA-52F2726D9C0F.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 24
Hello!
I’ve recently noticed one of my GLW (2 years old) has developed some bald spots. The skin in the area is really inflamed and red. She’s also been acting weird. She is separate from the rest of her flock most of the time and is very timid now. Also very skittish. She still has a good appetite though. I don’t know if the spots are from molting. It doesn’t look like molting to me because the others have molted and it doesn’t look similar. One of the spots seems to be getting worse. What is this? I’ve been spraying it with Miyocin (not sure how to spell it), it’s a spray for wounds on animals. Anything thing else I should be doing?
Do you have any roosters in your flock? If so it may be because he's attempting to mate with her.

Yeah. I recommend you either separate him from the flock for a while (which I HIGHLY recommend) or sell/butcher him
What would separating him do? Would it calm him down or something? I can definitely do that.
I can also separate my hen for a while. Do you think that would work instead?
thanks

That looks like rooster damage to me. Notice in the pictures how she's missing feathers on the back of her head, which is a common sign of rooster damage. The other places are also areas where a rooster would pull/scrape feathers off, as well

What would separating him do? Would it calm him down or something? I can definitely do that.
I can also separate my hen for a while. Do you think that would work instead?
thanks
I honestly don't think you should do it to the hen. It won't really do much in my opinion because the rooster will continue to attack. The rooster may start to calm down after you separate him from the flock but if this doesn't work and he's still aggressive you may have to butcher or sell it to somebody who is willing to care for him and NOT butcher him.

Back
Top Bottom