Hen has limp neck and lethargic

If you haven't culled yet, and you certainly have the right to choose to do so, this condition is very treatable.

The problem we run into is to get the chicken's head in an upright position so they can swallow, as they need to extend their neck to permit gravity to help the food and water to go down the throat into the crop. You may need to enlist a second person to help do this.

It's crucial you give the correct dose of the vitamin E. It needs to be a full dose of 400iu people type E gel caps. Pry open the beak and stick the capsule in. Close the beak, extend neck so the chicken can swallow. You can do two such doses each day.

With adequate vitamin E, the chicken often improves in just a single day, and if it takes a little longer, it's usually not long and the chicken is back to normal again.

If the chicken is too weak to eat or drink, you will need to syringe the food and water into the crop. You do that this way.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg
Notice the esophagus is on the chicken's right side of the throat. That is your target. The airway is in the center behind the tongue, and it must be avoided.

If the chicken coughs or gags, you have the syringe in the wrong hole. Withdraw it and try again. The chicken will not cough or choke when the syringe is placed in the esophagus.

A chicken needs around half a cup of feed per day and at least six ounces of water.

If you haven't culled yet, and you certainly have the right to choose to do so, this condition is very treatable.

The problem we run into is to get the chicken's head in an upright position so they can swallow, as they need to extend their neck to permit gravity to help the food and water to go down the throat into the crop. You may need to enlist a second person to help do this.

It's crucial you give the correct dose of the vitamin E. It needs to be a full dose of 400iu people type E gel caps. Pry open the beak and stick the capsule in. Close the beak, extend neck so the chicken can swallow. You can do two such doses each day.

With adequate vitamin E, the chicken often improves in just a single day, and if it takes a little longer, it's usually not long and the chicken is back to normal again.
I didn’t know that so the last few days she really didn’t get any food in then. Just barely moves her beak.

Update- researched humane ways to cull but my husband said give her one more day.
So she is still staying in her luxury suite with scrambled eggs vit E and B. I didn’t know I could give her two vitamin E! Will do that now. I mixed it in her water. Today she actually reached for the eggs and ate more than the past few days. Head is still down and kinda twisted neck.
So far she will drink water w vit B liquid and E.
I didn’t know that so the last few days she really didn’t get any food in then. Just barely moves her beak.
update - today we decided to cull, she wouldn’t eat anymore barely drank and we were just making her suffer more.
I held her thanked her for all the eggs, walked her by the hen house and said goodbye to the other hens.
I would like to say thank you for all the advice! Appreciate the kindness and the information.
We gave her the best life, and past few days I made her scrambled eggs with sugar and vit b and e with lots of liquid.
I am sad but I know we did what was right for her.

Update- researched humane ways to cull but my husband said give her one more day.
So she is still staying in her luxury suite with scrambled eggs vit E and B. I didn’t know I could give her two vitamin E! Will do that now. I mixed it in her water. Today she actually reached for the eggs and ate more than the past few days. Head is still down and kinda twisted neck.
So far she will drink water w vit B liquid and E.

update - today we decided to cull, she wouldn’t eat anymore barely drank and we were just making her suffer more.
I held her thanked her for all the eggs, walked her by the hen house and said goodbye to the other hens.
I would like to say thank you for all the advice! Appreciate the kindness and the information.
We gave her the best life, and past few days I made her scrambled eggs with sugar and vit b and e with lots of liquid.
I am sad but I know we did what was right for her.
I'm sorry she didn't get better, though you did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom