Hen has nothing in her crop, breathing hard don't know whats wrong!

Thank you Wyorp Rock, they haven't show any interest in her so she should be OK to go back with them. Her crop has not had anything in it for days. She may be drinking a little but I think she is just picking at food.
:hugs Poor thing. I'm sure you've tried to entice her with everything you can think of.
Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench or similar? I would try to direct dose her at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. Try to get her drinking. The direct vitamins my give her a kick start, but I've found if they stop eating, are hunched up, tail dragging, then time is ending quickly.
I'm so sorry.

Sorry I was not able to get a picture but yes she is standing with her tail down and her back hunched.
That's fine Terri thanks for responding.
Poor girl. Yes I also agree, let her out to her friends. It's about making her comfortable (happy) as you can now.

I know it is not something you want to hear or think about right now, but if she does pass I also think you should refrigerate her body and get a necropsy done. It will tell you what went wrong, and it can really help with closure!

But for now, let her out and see how she responds. I think she'll be happier and that's the point.

Well the report today is she ate a little hard boiled egg and some water soaked feed. I let her back with her flock. Later in the day she went into the chicken house so I thought she might be cold so I put her in her cage with the heat lamp and left the door open. I told her if she wanted to she could get out. She ate a few bites of her chicken feed spit out most of it and took a nap. I noticed that her poop is watery and has black solid stuff in it. Don't know if that is meaningful or not. Well I will keep you posted, probably can't afford a necropsy I am not Social Security and just the shipping would not be cheap. I figure you all are right it is a reproductive problem. Thanks Terri

Well the report today is she ate a little hard boiled egg and some water soaked feed. I let her back with her flock. Later in the day she went into the chicken house so I thought she might be cold so I put her in her cage with the heat lamp and left the door open. I told her if she wanted to she could get out. She ate a few bites of her chicken feed spit out most of it and took a nap. I noticed that her poop is watery and has black solid stuff in it. Don't know if that is meaningful or not. Well I will keep you posted, probably can't afford a necropsy I am not Social Security and just the shipping would not be cheap. I figure you all are right it is a reproductive problem. Thanks Terri
Thank you for the update Terri.

I thought I should write. My Chicken is still alive, still eating some, still nothing in her crop. She runs around with the other three chickens and at night goes into her cage. So I guess at some point she will die but not today. I will just continue to make her comfortable and unless something else happens I guess thats all I can do. Thank you all for your well wishes. Terri

Even in isolation I have a small rabbit cage near the run, so that they can still see and hear the flock, but not interact. Early on, my chicken expert friend showed me her isolation pen, genius idea, separated by a plexi-glass window, keeps them happier.

Sorry that she is not eating still, and getting better. I would feed her nibbles of whatever you can get her to eat. Chickens that I have had who were dying, would get a bit of egg, tuna, salmon, or chopped meat, as well as offered wet chicken feed. Tube feeding might be something you may want to try. I let mine be if it looks like they are not going to get better. I had a hen last year who seemed to live on no food at all for 6 weeks before she died, but she went out and stayed with the other hens all day long.

It helps to do a home necropsy if you cannot get a professional one, just to have a look at the organs for anything unusual. Pictures on a cell phone can be posted here if any opinions are needed.

I thought I should write. My Chicken is still alive, still eating some, still nothing in her crop. She runs around with the other three chickens and at night goes into her cage. So I guess at some point she will die but not today. I will just continue to make her comfortable and unless something else happens I guess thats all I can do. Thank you all for your well wishes. Terri
Thanks Terri. Glad to hear she doesn't sound stressed.
Have you found anything at all she enjoys eating?
Best wishes!

Cragg, She like hard boiled egg which I give her every morning before she goes out with the flock then when she comes in in the evening I give her moist chick feed. She likes them both when she gets out with the gang she goes straight to the chicken food and eats. I noticed this morning her poop is normal so she is eating but I cannot figure out why I cannot feel her crop. Her comb is still pale but she keeps her tail up more so I don't know what to think. Thanks Terri

Back
Top Bottom