Hen house next to pasture?

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Hey guys! I wasn’t sure where to post this. We’ve only lived here for year and have noticed we have a bit of a predator problem (coyotes and hawks). I’m trying to decide where to fence in my pasture for donkeys and potential goats this spring. Is there any reason why I should not butt it up to my chicken coop (building on left)? if my donkeys turn out to not be territorial for whatever reason I’m hoping they’re at least an alarm for them. Also considering on free ranging only when I’m outside and somehow making it so my hens can range in the pasture as well? I’m a first timer with all of these animals, If I’m missing something please let me know! I’m trying to do it right the first time

Attachments

• 6E75BACC-4F2A-40C0-8A12-B684193701A5.jpeg
    6E75BACC-4F2A-40C0-8A12-B684193701A5.jpeg
    613.9 KB · Views: 16
Oh wow, what a beautiful picture.
If you have coyotes, then you better predator proof that pen. Like really well.

Yes!! For the past year I’ve been doing research on hardware cloth and possible electric wire around the coop and run. I will be taking extra precautions with that for sure

Every state in the continental USA has coyotes.
But not every household has to deal with them.
My dad in Mississippi lives around lots of open farm land. We have never seen a coyote, or seen evidence of one. They are not a threat everywhere.

I live in a more urban area, its not a thread around me either.
:cool:

Yes!! For the past year I’ve been doing research on hardware cloth and possible electric wire around the coop and run. I will be taking extra precautions with that for sure
Make sure you bury the wire around the perimeter of the coop so nothing can dig in. Bury Hardwire cloth, or pour a nice concrete footer.

I make this suggestion all the time. When you build you coop, make sure to build it to keep the predators out, not keep the chickens in. Rat proof it as well, you will save a crazy amount of food.

I did rat proof my coop, and built a spill proof feeder, and my food cost went down by 60%-70%. It was unbelievable.
-------------------
I don't see where its a problem to put them together.

Make sure you bury the wire around the perimeter of the coop so nothing can dig in. Bury Hardwire cloth, or pour a nice concrete footer.

I make this suggestion all the time. When you build you coop, make sure to build it to keep the predators out, not keep the chickens in. Rat proof it as well, you will save a crazy amount of food.

I did rat proof my coop, and built a spill proof feeder, and my food cost went down by 60%-70%. It was unbelievable.
-------------------
I don't see where its a problem to put them together.
Good to know! Thank you so much. I never thought about rats! I have to do a little bit more research on that. The building I’ll be working with has been standing for over 60 years. It needs a lot of help to say the least LOL there is an existing foundation which we will be patching. Here you can see part of the foundation. It will need new siding, roof, who knows what else. I’ll be attaching the hardware cloth from underneath the siding

Attachments

• CEAF4C40-917D-447B-BE2E-EE42C7C8921C.jpeg
    CEAF4C40-917D-447B-BE2E-EE42C7C8921C.jpeg
    893.2 KB · Views: 8
Very true. I’d have to say they’re a threat around here. I saw a few in broad daylight, my neighbor has six hanging on his fence the last I noticed and I can hear their songs at night. Yes, I will be using extra hardware cloth! Another reason why I’d like to bump my pasture up to the chicken coop. I know all donkeys are different but I’m hoping mine turn out to be territorial

Very true. I’d have to say they’re a threat around here. I saw a few in broad daylight, my neighbor has six hanging on his fence the last I noticed and I can hear their songs at night. Yes, I will be using extra hardware cloth! Another reason why I’d like to bump my pasture up to the chicken coop. I know all donkeys are different but I’m hoping mine turn out to be territorial
For the coyotes, may I suggest a .17 MHR. We use them here in FL to dispatch them all the time. Works like a champ. Flat shooting, crazy accurate, hard hitting.
Hang a few on your fence also.

And you can buy a suppressor for it for around 600 bucks including tax stamp.

For the coyotes, may I suggest a .17 MHR. We use them here in FL to dispatch them all the time. Works like a champ. Flat shooting, crazy accurate, hard hitting.
Hang a few on your fence also.

And you can buy a suppressor for it for around 600 bucks including tax stamp.

I’d love to if I saw them more often! And I’m sure that will be the case once I provide food for them. This time of year I mostly see rabbits, deer and a few pheasants. I’m blessed enough to be in the middle of a deer trail. Although something tells me I should be investigating my tracks a little bit more!

Attachments

• 857F1301-6E67-4EF6-8C11-DBCA415EE93E.jpeg
    857F1301-6E67-4EF6-8C11-DBCA415EE93E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom