Hen injured from rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allisonb20, Oct 27, 2016.

1. allisonb20

allisonb20 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    Looking for some advice on caring for my rooster's "favorite" hen. He's scratching her under her wing on one side pretty bad, about the size of the bottom of a coke can. Most of it is scabbed over but she has some fresh open cuts. I plan to isolate her until she heals, but is there a spray I can use to help? Peroxide? A way to prevent him from hurting her or my other hens? Is it just a normal part of mating? All of the birds are about 8 months old.

He's a beautiful rooster but I'm considering getting rid of him if he continues to injury my hens. I have friends who will take and raise him.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

I wasn't sure what to do, so i asked Google, but keep and eye on that rooster! Don't let him hurt your hens!

Here is what Google said:
    Move it away from the flock to prevent it from being bullied and pecked by the otherchickens. Wash the injury with hot, soapy water and gently pat dry. Using a cotton ball, clean the cut with hydrogen peroxide. Keep the bird in the sick area while recovering.

i hope this helped

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I spray my girls with blue Kote. It disguises the wound and helps heal. The disguise is so that other chickens don't keep pecking at the wound.

4. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, chickens will peck the injured to the death and eat them. keep it covered

5. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    I use bluekote too
    you could also put a chicken saddle on her.. I got more hens so the roo is busy with others
    ETA 8-12 hens per roo is a common ratio

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  6. allisonb20

allisonb20 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the help. I pulled out the hen for a few days and sprayed her with blue kote. But last night I pulled out the rooster and move the hens in together because a second hen has a open wound. Hopefully my hens will all heal soon. I've been trying to use soapy water but they arent having it. I am going to try chicken saddles for them as my final choice for mister rooster. Hopefully they work. I've seen a lot of good reviews for them.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by