Hen is always squaking. Why?

Sandbellie

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
New Hampshire
I have an EE and shes about 2 and 1/2 years old. She always is walking around the yard squaking. She's fed and watered an she always has a place to lay eggs. Her egg laying has decreased, so could she have troubles with laying eggs? Is there something wrong or is she just a noisy bird?

Thanks.

My EEs don't whine at me, but my Welsummers do! If I venture out of doors, there is all manner of fussing coming from the direction of the run!

Bawwkkk bawwkkk bawwwk .....booo boooo bbooooooeeewwww.

Is she whining for treats?

Or is she in pain? (Judging from the sound, I mean.)

I have a one-year old EE, Flora, and she's the loudest one of the whole flock, always going, "Caw! Caw! Caw!" And she will stand right at my feet, looking straight up and make eye contact while verbalizing. She's just very bossy and assertive. If I have one in my lap and Flo notices, then she has to jump up and crowd right in, too. She announces before AND after laying, too.

Sounds like you may have someone similar.

It doesn't sound like she's in pain, just alike to what both of you described. Hahaha....I guess she's just a noisy bird.
big_smile.png
thanks guys.

Last edited:
My rir and nhr are both very noisy ladies, but they are great egg layers! My previous chickens who didn't make much noise turned out to be not very healthy. I take their noisiness as a sign of good health. BTW they get much quieter when I open the run and let them free range
roll.png

My Americauna (probably Easter Egger) "Nell" is a squawker too. You would think she lays golden eggs (IF ONLY!!) instead of green ones. I don't think she is in any pain, she is just super proud!

jumpy.gif

When you figure it out be sure and let me know. I would dearly love for 3 year old Jezebel to shut up once in awhile. She's been walking around squawking since she was a chick; all day long, every day.

Back
Top Bottom