1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is always squaking. Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandbellie, May 25, 2011.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have an EE and shes about 2 and 1/2 years old. She always is walking around the yard squaking. She's fed and watered an she always has a place to lay eggs. Her egg laying has decreased, so could she have troubles with laying eggs? Is there something wrong or is she just a noisy bird?

Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My EEs don't whine at me, but my Welsummers do! If I venture out of doors, there is all manner of fussing coming from the direction of the run!

Bawwkkk bawwkkk bawwwk .....booo boooo bbooooooeeewwww.

Is she whining for treats?

Or is she in pain? (Judging from the sound, I mean.)

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have a one-year old EE, Flora, and she's the loudest one of the whole flock, always going, "Caw! Caw! Caw!" And she will stand right at my feet, looking straight up and make eye contact while verbalizing. She's just very bossy and assertive. If I have one in my lap and Flo notices, then she has to jump up and crowd right in, too. She announces before AND after laying, too.

Sounds like you may have someone similar.

4. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It doesn't sound like she's in pain, just alike to what both of you described. Hahaha....I guess she's just a noisy bird. [​IMG] thanks guys.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    SHE HAS TO SQUAWK LOUDER BECAUSE YOU NEVER LISTEN ANYMORE. you need to make yourself more emotionally available.

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I have an RIR who constantly squawks as well. Forget quiet chicken coos and clucks. She's the friendliest and has the most personality as well. Love her!

7. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    My rir and nhr are both very noisy ladies, but they are great egg layers! My previous chickens who didn't make much noise turned out to be not very healthy. I take their noisiness as a sign of good health. BTW they get much quieter when I open the run and let them free range [​IMG]

8. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    My Americauna (probably Easter Egger) "Nell" is a squawker too. You would think she lays golden eggs (IF ONLY!!) instead of green ones. I don't think she is in any pain, she is just super proud!

[​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:[​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When you figure it out be sure and let me know. I would dearly love for 3 year old Jezebel to shut up once in awhile. She's been walking around squawking since she was a chick; all day long, every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by