Hen is destined for freezer camp, unless someone has any bright ideas!

Put golf balls in the nests for egg eaters.
somad.gif

When I get new chickens, I just open up the cage and they walk into the run, rooster inspects/mates/fights and hens fight..after a bit fighting stops and they shy away form some of the more avid fighters...vvoila. They'll be fine. Just watch them, thye WILL jump and stuff at each other, I've never had anything happen..even to 4 week old chicks being put in with 12-13weekers.

Free-ranging will give them more room to escape if needed too.

No wonder you're worn out and Goldie is a nervous wreck! Just when Goldie is getting a handle on her new flock members, you jump in and change things on her, including her nest!

If you were to back away and do nothing at all but just watch them from a distance, you would probably see this happening:

One of the two new hens will sidle up to Goldie and stand there staring at her. This is a challenge. If the new hen doesn't look away and move on, it's a signal to Goldie, she wants to challenge her. For the dominant hen to become such a "bully" all of a sudden, it almost always means some outsider, young upstart is challenging her status. What appears to you to be Goldie bullying is almost surely simply her defending her role as flock leader.

Usually, when you are introducing just a couple of new hens into a tiny flock, they manage to sort out the pecking order very quickly. But if you interfere with them, it can take much longer, and you end up not really helping matters.

Try backing off. Put them all out to free range and let them spend as much time together in a large space as possible, all afternoon until dark, if you can. Try not to interfere when it's time for them to go into roost. Try to let them do it their way, even if there's conflict.

If it looks like they can't settle in without a knock down/drag out fight, try getting the two newcomers aside and wait until dark, then put them in the coop on the perch. Next morning, leave them alone to sort things out. Chances are they will have it all resolved before you even come out.

As for the egg-eating, try to ignore that problem for now. Chances are it will resolve itself, too, once Goldie gets her flock in line and she can lay in her old nest again.

No wonder you're worn out and Goldie is a nervous wreck! Just when Goldie is getting a handle on her new flock members, you jump in and change things on her, including her nest!

If you were to back away and do nothing at all but just watch them from a distance, you would probably see this happening:

One of the two new hens will sidle up to Goldie and stand there staring at her. This is a challenge. If the new hen doesn't look away and move on, it's a signal to Goldie, she wants to challenge her. For the dominant hen to become such a "bully" all of a sudden, it almost always means some outsider, young upstart is challenging her status. What appears to you to be Goldie bullying is almost surely simply her defending her role as flock leader.

Usually, when you are introducing just a couple of new hens into a tiny flock, they manage to sort out the pecking order very quickly. But if you interfere with them, it can take much longer, and you end up not really helping matters.

Try backing off. Put them all out to free range and let them spend as much time together in a large space as possible, all afternoon until dark, if you can. Try not to interfere when it's time for them to go into roost. Try to let them do it their way, even if there's conflict.

If it looks like they can't settle in without a knock down/drag out fight, try getting the two newcomers aside and wait until dark, then put them in the coop on the perch. Next morning, leave them alone to sort things out. Chances are they will have it all resolved before you even come out.

As for the egg-eating, try to ignore that problem for now. Chances are it will resolve itself, too, once Goldie gets her flock in line and she can lay in her old nest again.
x2
I guess that was kinda what I was trying to say. :)

If your run is as small as what is on the coop you showed us, that might be your biggest problem. That is very tiny! If they are so close to each other, it is no wonder she picks on them. Proper integration takes space. The chickens crapping in the yard will likely do your children no harm, unless you manage poorly and in turn have disease.

Ditto. I agree with standing back and letting pecking order scuffles take place, within reason of course. But in such a small space, no room to get away, it really is stressful for the new birds. And if your aggressive bird happens to draw blood, it can quickly turn into a free-for-all and go very badly for the new birds since they have no room to get away.

What exactly is the size of your coop? And the size of your run? I know they are integrated, but posting the dimensions of each portion could help.

My hunch is similar to Free Feather's, that your coop and run are way too small for the number of birds you have. Most of the A-frame type coop/run setups I have seen in person are only big enough for about 2 full grown hens. There just isn't that much space in those A-frames. Ever slept in an A-frame tent? There really isn't any space in the tent except right in the middle of the tent, where the roof is highest. The A-frames are easy to build and good as temporary or chick housing, but not ideal for full grown chickens, IMO.

If you can't change your coop situation, then I would add a pop door to the run and make them a bigger run with some wire fencing. More space will help them a lot. Or azygous' suggestion of giving them much more free-range time.

Back
Top Bottom