hen is moulting at nine months! (I think)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by plymouthrocksrock, Dec 18, 2010.

1. plymouthrocksrock

plymouthrocksrock Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Hi,
    My hen has just started "Moulting" two days ago. But, I thought I read somewhere that hens only start moulting in their second year?
    Blueish spiky things are coming out of her neck, and her feathers are everywhere.
    I'll post pic ASAP.
    I'm just wondering if she IS moulting or if the other ladys are picking on her.
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sounds like a mini-molt. As long as she has new blood feathers coming in and they are not being pulled out then I wouldn't worry too much. Just as a precaution I would do a bug check on them. It is not unusual for a 9 month old to have some degree of molt. It's usually so slight as to be unnoticeable, but birds molt in different ways depending on the bird.

Good luck.

3. plymouthrocksrock

Dec 13, 2010
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Here is the pic [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Those are her new blood feathers on her neck. Looks just like a few of mine. She simply didn't read the book on when she was supposed to molt. Neither did mine.

There was a thread on here recently about a hen who molted unexpectedly. Turned out her feed had been changed a couple of months earlier, to increase her protein. It was felt this was the cause -- not the higher protein, just the change, something different. Just something I read here.

Mine who have finished molting are sure pretty, with all those shiny new feathers!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  5. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I have a RIR hen that started molting @ 9mths as well. She stopped eating and drinking for a few days but now she is back to eating and drinking and not staying as iolated from the others so I guess this is more common then we think.

6. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm just worried about my little baldy getting cold.[​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, she's molting. I had 2 at 9 months old last year molt.

8. plymouthrocksrock

Dec 13, 2010
    Lake Oswego, OR
    I think the timing might depend on breeds or just the birds. My australorps Haven't shed a single feather.
    The change thing is pretty convincing, because her pal the other barred rock just died and then she started moulting.

Interesting [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by