Hen is sluggish, barely eating and pooping green liquid

If she won’t eat, you could try tube feeding. Aquarium air tubing from the fish aisle at Walmart or pet stores can be used with a 35 ml syringe from a feed store to give liquids and thin foods. Cut an 8 inch length of the tubing, and melt the cut end with a lighter to soften the sharp edge. In the photo below, the hole at the base of the tongue must be avoided, but put the tube down the right side of the chicken’s throat (where the syringe is) and pass the tube down to the crop. That is about 5 inches in 5 pound hen.

upload_2019-3-11_22-35-41.jpeg

If she won’t eat, you could try tube feeding. Aquarium air tubing from the fish aisle at Walmart or pet stores can be used with a 35 ml syringe from a feed store to give liquids and thin foods. Cut an 8 inch length of the tubing, and melt the cut end with a lighter to soften the sharp edge. In the photo below, the hole at the base of the tongue must be avoided, but put the tube down the right side of the chicken’s throat (where the syringe is) and pass the tube down to the crop. That is about 5 inches in 5 pound hen.

View attachment 1698845
What should i feed her? I have her on yogurt watered down with pedialite flavored with natural honey.

I agree with tube feeding. It should be fluid first, then watered down feed. I think this will perk her up to buy you time to figure out what’s going on. If you are afraid to tube feed, I can totally relate! I have had luck turning feed into a paste and swiping it into a beak with my finger. Then the hen swallows on her own. This would be a slow process, but might be worth trying.

It might be a little longer than that. I use a 16" tube with all of mine and having that extra allows for a little wiggle room. Too short a tube and you risk aspiration, IMO.
I usually measure on the side of the neck from the tip if the beak down to the crop. It will vary on every size chicken. My tubes are about 10-12 inches long, and it is good to mark the length to the crop on the tube. I estimated about 5 inches on the one I am doing now, but it may need to be passed farther. In humans it is much easier to tell when you are in the stomach since you can pull back to see stomach contents. With a chicken struggling to get away, sometimes I feel like another pair of hands would be good.

Back
Top Bottom