Aug 12, 2009
BuCo, KS
My Coop
My Coop
Went to collect eggs and in the nest box with the eggs was one of these:
38935_chickenthing.jpg

When I broke it open, this is what it looked like:
38935_chickenthing2.jpg

I've been researching these and see there is a wide variety of possibilities. Everything from a diseased ovary to a tumor to an internal egg laying problem. I first thought it might be an ovary but now I'm not so sure. The inside looked like cooked chicken. There was no sign of anything the slightest color of a yolk. There was also no bad smell to it.

I am not certain who laid it. My oldest BO is 20 months old and the other is 1 month younger but I found eggs in the box that I believe are theirs. The only other laying hen I have right now is a 17-month-old BR. My RIR is 17 months and hasn't laid for a few weeks (molt). The BSL is 12 months old and hasn't laid for the last 2-3 months.

I'm not sure whether to credit this to a hen who IS currently laying, in which case it would most likely be the BR's, or to one that is not currently laying, in which case it would be the RIR or BSL.

Any ideas? What I am most interested to find out is the likelihood this will affect future laying.

Yes, I had actually already looked at that post but this doesn't seem to be the same thing. The inside of it did not look layered like in that post, and there was no sign of any yolk-like material. As I said in my OP, it looked like cooked chicken - not cooked egg.

Meat spot.
Young pullets can pass these or older hens.Happens when the chickies have those weird hiccups in their prodution cycle when they are starting to lay for the first part of their production cycle or when they are about to no longer be able to lay due to old age.

Back
Top Bottom