Hen laid 2 eggs in 1 day!

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
So yesterday was a super fun day for me. I have 13 hens and i got 13 eggs!! This was the first time for the whole coop to lay.

But the crazy thing is my easter egger whi lats blue eggs is not laying right now since she is molting.

Upon closer inspection it appears that my partridge penedesenca laid 2! Hers are the terra cotta colored one in the middle of the box. Can this happen?

She didn’t lay the day before but when i was in the coop early in the morning hers was not the one i found.

Super excited to be getting such a strong amount of eggs even though the days are growing cold and short here in Ohio!!

Hope the photo comes through now!

Attachments

• 1F0CC686-1918-4669-94AE-6A9C1E7DB99E.jpeg
    1F0CC686-1918-4669-94AE-6A9C1E7DB99E.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 14
I am happy for your enthusiasm but, I don't think that is possible. :hit sorry for being a party pooper. One of your hens might of layed one at night or really late afternoon!
Even still your hens are great layers if you ask me! all of them layed an egg that day!

I am happy for your enthusiasm but, I don't think that is possible. :hit sorry for being a party pooper. One of your hens might of layed one at night or really late afternoon!
Even still your hens are great layers if you ask me! all of them layed an egg that day!
I didn’t think so either. But i check for eggs at 7 am when i left for work. My New Hampshire red was jumping out of the nesting box and that was the only egg. Then when i got home there was 4 brown in the first box , the 2 terra cotta in the second box, and the rest in the third. Unless she hid it very well in there and it came out when she laid the other. But hazel is the only one who lays that color.

Any how...a girl can hope. Lol

think about it, laying an egg is a period. They have one complete cycle every 28 hours in which, just like a human, they pass ONE egg. If they get two eggs in one it will become a double-yolked egg or the one following the fist will come out without a shell or impounded in the chicken. You do not want a chicken to lay more than one egg at a time. BUT since they lay every 28 hours, she could have laid one at 1 am and then another say, at 6 pm. technically on the same day and possibly seen together as if she laid two.

Back
Top Bottom