Hen laid egg off the roost

sagealbright

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Well I finally got my first egg this morning! My Salmon Faverolle decided she was ready and gave me a nice big egg! The only problem is she laid it off the roost... Thankfully we had enough hay on the ground that the egg didn't break. Does anyone know how I can get her to start laying in the nesting boxes? They are filled with straw and I put 2 golf balls in each box.

If this was her first egg, then likely it surprised her as much as you. I would just watch for the next egg. Doubt you'll get 2 laid from the roost, she will now know an egg is coming.

Congrats!
I wouldn't worry too much about this - it sounds like you've already done the things that will help guide her to where she needs to go. Give it a few eggs and she'll get it all down. Even once they find the nests you'll still find surprise eggs here and there - I find occasional eggs in the run or in the poop board beneath the roost -- eggs that sneak up on them in the night or when they are like little kids who are too busy playing to be bothered to go to the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom