Hen laid her first egg 16 days ago... none since

JayDee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
Is it something to worry about?

I went through a bunch of threads but nobody seems to have as big a gap as that.

I had around a two week gap with one pullet. I would have to look at my 'chicken log' to know exact #.

There where two soft shelled eggs dropped from roost on top of another one morning. Then nothing...had partner go out to check on her several times a day when I was at work for fear of getting egg bound. Over a week went by, the hen was fine so I stopped worrying. Yeah, 2 weeks before her eggs started showing up and still sporatic at that. Was not impressed with this chicken at all, late to mature, problems starting and in bottom half of my flock for layer.

My two pullets have stopped laying for the past two weeks. Don't know why and they are not broody either.

ummm yeah. My Gold Comet (aka red sex link) hen has been with me since 12/03/2010. She was 18 weeks old at the time. Within 3 weeks she laid her first egg! Yea!!! Right? Ummm...WRONG. Since then it has been a once every couple of weeks thing until now it has been 3 weeks since the last one, and she has layed maybe, MAYBE 6 eggs total to date. i literally just told my husband that if she hasn't produced anything by Friday, it's off to auction she goes!

People say I have a "dud". I hope you don't.

And just to clarify, it's nothing I'm doing wrong: my bantams and my silkie hen outlay her even. My silkie lays nearly every day and my BR hen does 6/7 days. Even my Andalusian hen lays 5/7 days a week right now!
he.gif

lol I'm just glad it's not so abnormal that something may be wrong. She's my Araucana and I did love that one blue egg!

We got another egg today... laid in the run, again! Now we need to teach her about nest boxes!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom