Hen Laid Her First Egg!!

Chicken6000

Chirping
May 10, 2023
Austin, Texas
Proud of her, I do have a few questions and concerns!

1. Any way to know If the egg Is fertile or not?
2. How will she act towards the egg? (Will she continue laying?) (Does she just lay an egg and then wait until another egg?)

That's all folks! Thanks for the help! Glad to be apart of this community!:love
+ My apologies If I have any "dumb" questions, I'm just a newbie :old

Congrats on her first egg! :woot

Laying eggs is a natural process that will continue through out her life. Hens have no attachment to their eggs unless they go broody. (Wanting to hatch and have chicks.) Broodies protect their nests and eggs instinctively. If you have a rooster and he has been mating with her regularly, the egg may be fertile. If you have no rooster, the egg is not fertile.

Congrats on her first egg! :woot

Laying eggs is a natural process that will continue through out her life. Hens have no attachment to their eggs unless they go broody. (Wanting to hatch and have chicks.) Broodies protect their nests and eggs instinctively. If you have a rooster and he has been mating with her regularly, the egg may be fertile. If you have no rooster, the egg is not fertile.
The eggs Is fertile then! How would she be towards the fertile egg? So far today she has just let the egg in her nesting box

The eggs Is fertile then! How would she be towards the fertile egg? So far today she has just let the egg in her nesting box
Great! Keep in mind, not every egg is fertile even if the rooster has mated with the hen, but it's probable that it is then.

If the hen is not broody, she won't set on the egg to incubate it. And mating or laying doesn't make them broody, broodiness is driven by hormones. Some birds are always broody, some birds never go broody. You will know she is broody when she spends all day sitting on this egg or no eggs, when you stick you hand in to touch her, she may chatter and growl at you refusing to budge.

This said, if she is not broody, she will ignore this egg completely. If you want to hatch it, you will need an incubator.

Great! Keep in mind, not every egg is fertile even if the rooster has mated with the hen, but it's probable that it is then.

If the hen is not broody, she won't set on the egg to incubate it. And mating or laying doesn't make them broody, broodiness is driven by hormones. Some birds are always broody, some birds never go broody. You will know she is broody when she spends all day sitting on this egg or no eggs, when you stick you hand in to touch her, she may chatter and growl at you refusing to budge.

This said, if she is not broody, she will ignore this egg completely. If you want to hatch it, you will need an incubator.
Thanks! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom