Hen laid shell less egg again!

Apr 20, 2020
Hey guys. a couple of weeks ago my Rhode island red hen, who is about 5 months old wasn't feeling well. Then after a day or two she laid a shell less egg! She even stopped laying normal eggs. I thought of egg peritonitis, because I had a hen before who had this and unfortunately passed away. After that I gave her yogurt, and electrolytes and changed the food that has more calcium. luckily after a few days she felt better and seemed happy, and started laying normal eggs. Now yesterday I saw her feeling down again. She wasn't really that active as usual. I then observed her. I noticed that her vent was open, as if she is trying to poop something or lay something. After a few seconds later she pooped out egg whites, not yolk. I got really worried. Now I thought that a egg probably broke inside her. But after pooping it out she seemed okay. Now today, before it was their sleeping time, her vent was open again. I knew she was about to poop out something. And then she laid a egg less shell again! the egg was cracked! As she laid the egg, some of the extra egg whites that was left didn't fully came out, and remained in her vent. Is there anything I can do to help her? I am super worried and stressed out. I would really appreciate it.

Sorry about your hen that is experiencing reproductive problems. It happens every now and then. Does she eat layer feed, and have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container? Antibiotics sometimes are prescribed by a vet to help in case there is infection. There is also a hormone implant available to stop them from laying, although you may have to check with your vet.

Sorry about your hen that is experiencing reproductive problems. It happens every now and then. Does she eat layer feed, and have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container? Antibiotics sometimes are prescribed by a vet to help in case there is infection. There is also a hormone implant available to stop them from laying, although you may have to check with your vet.
yes she eats layer feed by Purina. No she doesn't have oyster shells, but i do give her a human calcium supplement. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I would continue to give her the calcium supplement for several days to see if it helps. Calcium can help to increase the muscle control to help lay eggs. Let us know how she gets along.

I would continue to give her the calcium supplement for several days to see if it helps. Calcium can help to increase the muscle control to help lay eggs. Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you. I will give her calcium supplement everyday. I will keep you guys updated on her.

Back
Top Bottom