Hen Leaving Eggs Out??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HeyHeyWW, Oct 23, 2018.

1. HeyHeyWW

HeyHeyWW Songster

Oct 9, 2017
    Florida
    I have this really weird hen, Hershey, whenever she goes broody and she's in the nest, instead of the eggs being under her, she just leaves them out. So she's in the nest, but she won't warm the eggs, they are just all out. This has happened twice. I thought that it was just that she's new to it the first time, but then the second time she does it again and I keep on having to take her out of the nest until she's not broody anymore.

I had another hen who hatched chicks perfectly fine for the first time going broody so I don't know what's wrong with Hershey. :/

2. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    Some hens are just poor mothers, as with all animals. I have a black-list of hens who aren't allowed to sit eggs due to previous ineptitude.

Shadrach likes this.
  3. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    How old is Hershey?
    Some hens just don't get the idea as @Sneebsey writes. Sometimes pullets (under 1 year old) fancy having a go but get bored and leave the eggs.
    Sometimes they'll sit in one type of nest but not another.

Sneebsey likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you provide enough bedding for her to form a bowl shaped nest ?

Sneebsey and Shadrach like this.
  5. HeyHeyWW

HeyHeyWW Songster

Oct 9, 2017
    Florida
    @Shadrach she just turned a year old I think last month or this month.
    @sourland I always put some dried grass and make it bowl-shaped, but I guess they don't like it because they always take it out.

Shadrach and sourland like this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try putting a higher lip on your nest box so that they cannot scratch it out. In my experience grass hay makes for the best nests. Most hens have difficulty effectively brooding eggs on a flat surface - especially if the clutch is of any size.

Shadrach likes this.
  7. HeyHeyWW

HeyHeyWW Songster

Oct 9, 2017
    Florida
    Ok, I hope that’ll wirk :) thank you all

sourland likes this.
  8. HeyHeyWW

HeyHeyWW Songster

Oct 9, 2017
    Florida
    Work*

9. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Feather Hearts likes this.
  10. Better that grass or hay etc for hatching eggs is a plug of turf turned grass side down & root side skyward. This plug of turf should be a little bigger than the bottom of the nest. This will form a bowl shaped depression in the nest as well as a humidity sink that will mimic the natural conditions under which the Red Jungle Fowl hatch their eggs. The simple fact that hen eggs are egg shaped will result in all of your hatching eggs laying in the nest with the big end of the egg higher than the pointed end of the egg. This will help the chicks orient themselves in the proper way in order to hatch easily, or just like Maw Nature intended.

Chickens are not feathered people so forget all of your druthers and concentrate on providing what hens need to thrive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: