Hen left nest at day 21

MelisaV

Hatching
Jan 12, 2017
UPDATE* six out of seven eggs hatched!

my Serema hen left her nest on day 21. It couldn't have been more than a couple of hours, but the eggs were cold. It was 30 degrees outside. I put them in our incubator anyway. Will they still hatch? Also, the humidity is at 74. Is that too high? I'm afraid to open the lid since we're in lockdown period. This is my first time hatching eggs, so I'm worried I'm going to screw something up. They have been in the Incubator almost 24 hours now. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
There is still a good chance that they will hatch- I've read a lot of similar experiences and they at least managed to hatch a few.

I normally put aim for 65-75% humidity, so you should be fine. Good luck.....

Thank you Chickygirl7. This egg hatching thing is so stressful!
1f601.png

Hi! And Welcome!

This..is exactly .. how I got started on incubating! My first hen to go broody, got the fertile eggs for her, and she litterally flew the coop when those eggs started to pip! I think the sound of the chicks peeping scared her. I tried getting her back on. Nope, she was right back off. After all that time!

Well, someone had suggested that I get an incubator..just in case. I really didn't think this would happen. I brought them in. I didn't know how to do what! They all 6 hatched..and that is as they say...all she wrote! I love to incubate.

Right now, have your temp at the 99 area.. one degree lower is ok, or one higher....humidity is the most important thing right now. I keep mine around 60 to 65 during lock down. Bet you get some babies soon. Come back on here and let us know how it worked out .. would ya? Good luck!

G’Day from down under MelisaV
frow.gif
Welcome!

Also sending good hatching vibes your way
fl.gif

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom