hen losing use of leg

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
She will be two years old in May. This is the third one out of four that I got at Tractor supply>I am not sure of her Breed. I was told when I purchased them that They were Isa Browns. The first hen I lost was In September of last year. She died suddenly. Last Month My Husband had to put the second hen down. She started Limping. And completely lost the use of her Add to dictionary I have one that started limping this morning. This evening I had to put her up on the roost. I watched her .She tried to lift her foot.and Couldn't. She actually came to the door of her run and squatted down so I could pick her up and place her on the Roost. I am thinking its the Breed..That's # 3.I still have one left that seems ok.they are big heavy hens.They no longer lay.

It could possibly be Mareks disease. Most feed store chicks are not vaccinated for Mareks. I would save this chicken's body and refrigerate it is a plastic bag if she dies to get a necropsy performed by
your state vet or poultry lab. They could test fo Mareks if you ask. If it ahould come back as
Mareks, then you could have the disease in your environment for months to years. I would vaccinate any new chicks in the future, and keep them away from any dust or dander present in you coop and run where the other chicks have lived, since that is how it can be spread. If you need contact information for state vets and poultry labs in your state, I can get that for you.

I have noticed that its the right leg.they use the use of.I won't let her suffer.When she gets to the point of using her wing as a crutch we will put her down.I have some older girls and they all were sharing the coops and runs.I ended up separating them last year because of a bully.their ages are 5 and 3 years old.still laying.and very active. This hen stopped laying last year. She went through a heavy molt last August and has not felt good since. I observe my hens. And spend a good amount of time with them.She is acting just like the once we put down last month.She lay's down to eat. maybe a mix of a meat bird.she is heavy.i would say she weighs about 8- to 10 LBS.

Back
Top Bottom