Hen Losing Weight and Lethargic- What’s wrong?

myawesomepullets

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
South Carolina
I have a 2 yr old hen who has been on and off lethargic for several weeks now, beginning during a cold snap. She’s been losing weight just a little bit previously but now it’s really noticeable. I’m not sure what’s wrong or if it can be cured, but I’m trying to find out.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She’s a 2 yr old Rhode Island Red hen, I’m not sure her exact weight but she’s featherlight, much lighter than her flock mates and herself, previously.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She’s been listless, on and off lethargic, slower than usual, not eating as much for several weeks now, maybe about a month. It used to be not very noticeable but it seems to be getting worse. She also hasn’t been laying eggs. (But in general that’s not too abnormal bc it’s been cold and her other flock mates haven’t been laying either).
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About a month, or just short of a month. It pretty much began with an abnormally cold week.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No. All three other hens are acting normally and starting to lay again after winter.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I don’t really know. It’s been cold but the other hens are fine and this hen is usually pretty hardy.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She’s been drinking water and I’m not completely sure how much layer feed she’s been eating, if at all. She eats treats, like veggies/fruits/mealworms when the other hens do.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Her poop is runny, but not always straight up liquid. She’s been pooping less and less recently.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I haven’t really done anything yet.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat completely myself bc there’s no avian vets around where I live, and the costs are out of question anyway.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
She’s just standing around, head sort of tucked into her body, and eyes closed sometimes. Just classic lethargy.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Pine shavings from Tractor supply, hay in the nesting boxes, a small-ish wood and metal coop that is somewhat open-air, and a big run with shrubs, a tree or two, some logs, and mostly dirt on the ground. It may or may not be helpful to mention that there’s currently some house construction/renovation going on decently close to the coop. (Probably around 25 ft away).

I’m not totally sure what’s wrong, or if the problem can be solved, but thanks so much to anyone who reads this! I’ll update.

When was the last time you dewormed your flock and with what? Have you checked thoroughly for mites/lice (both the bird and the roosting bars at night when mites like to come out and feed)? How does her crop feel? Is it as full as the others' at night and is it flat and empty first thing in the morning before food and water? Any bloating, squishiness or lumps in her belly area between her legs and below her vent?

Try and get her eating nutritious food. A lot of birds prefer a wet mash of their food over the dry pellets. A little egg or tuna on top might also help encourage her appetite. If you've got a scale I'd try to get a baseline weight on her so you can see how she progresses.

2 yr old hen who has been on and off lethargic for several weeks

She’s just standing around, head sort of tucked into her body, and eyes closed sometimes. Just classic lethargy.
Do you have photos of your hen and her poop?

What does her crop feel like?
Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?
Do you note any lice or mites?
Did she molt this fall or winter?

I'd work on hydration, see if she will drink for you and eat a little feed.

When was the last time you dewormed your flock and with what?
I’ve actually never dewormed before.
Have you checked thoroughly for mites/lice (both the bird and the roosting bars at night when mites like to come out and feed)?
Upon looking in daylight, nothing seems suspicious, but I’ll check once it gets dark.
How does her crop feel? Is it as full as the others' at night and is it flat and empty first thing in the morning before food and water?
Her crop has felt pretty normal consistency-wise, but I’ll look/feel tonight and tomorrow morning on the whole flock.
Any bloating, squishiness or lumps in her belly area between her legs and below her vent?
No bloating or liquid-feeling areas, but I can feel the bone between her legs pretty prominently.

Did she molt this fall or winter?
No.

Do you have photos of your hen and her poop?
I have a pic of her.
62167DE9-9D77-4665-BC92-3F5FEF0D6103.jpeg

I weighed her and her flock mates and she’s 3 lb 3 oz, while the other three hens are 4 lb 10 oz, 5 lb 13 oz, and 6 lb 6 oz. All three others are normal and laying eggs.

Poor girl, she's not feeling well. What's her poop like?

I'd work on getting her hydrated. If you have electrolytes that would be good to give. If not, I'd get a little sugar water into her.

I think I would get some calcium into her. 1 Calcium citrate tablet daily for 3 days or so.

Hard to know if she's having reproductive issues. I'd re-check her crop first thing to make sure it's emptying.
Deworming might not be a bad idea. If you can get a fecal float that's always best, but finding a vet to do one can be a challenge.

What's her poop like?
I have a picture! After watching her for 15 min, she pooped. It’s very liquidy, clear and water-like, but with a bit of actual poop in it. Hopefully this picture helps.
6E3C066B-E7D0-4535-8C27-3C4ABFF7E5B4.jpeg

I'd work on getting her hydrated. If you have electrolytes that would be good to give. If not, I'd get a little sugar water into her.
She’s drinking plenty and my dad put some electrolytes (Rooster Booster) in her water while I was at school.

Back
Top Bottom