Hen lost bloodied comb, healed, and now bullied by other hens

CrazyTownChick

Songster
May 8, 2020
KY
Long story, but over 2 1/2 weeks ago, we found a hen in a nesting box (with another hen) with a bloody dangling comb. Didn’t look pecked off but couldn’t find a place where she could have injured herself. A mystery. Don’t think the hen in the box did it.
So we cleaned her up, cut the rest of the comb off, took special care of her and put her in a hospital ward crate in the coop & in the run by day.
She’s pretty much healed up but unfortunately she’s scared to death to be in the flock. There are a couple of girls who have jumped on her, at once, and I’ve had to tap them hard with my finger and tell them no. Strongly. They don’t seem to learn. They’re so mean!
I’m having to babysit them to keep her from getting pecked and she has become dependent on me for protection. I don’t have time to babysit them everyday.
I have “jailed” in a crate one in particular Perp #1 that goes after her regularly. Kept her in crate overnight Not sure it’s helping. Very very discouraged. Hubby & I Try to encourage her to mix with the flock but she runs up in the coop to hide.
She just seems afraid of them all and runs away.
All because SHE was the one who was injured - not her fault. Maybe theirs or an accident.
we’re keeping her in the coop at night with the others. last night when I was busy my husband said Perp #1 started to attack her in the coop at bedtime. He yelled at her and pushed her away but did not crate her.
I just hate it that they’re fighting with the wounded one like this but don’t know what to do. She gets uppity with only a couple others and flaps her wings (I am the boss) & tries to chest bump. But mostly they pile on her and peck the heck out of her. Sick of it. at my wits end, hubby too. Any suggestions or ideas?

How big is your coop? There's always a bottom bird in a flock. Everyone pecks them. The more scared they act the more it attracts attention. It helps to give them places to hide or get away. Things to get up on, or under. Even pallets leaned against the wall can give them somewhere to hide, and breaks the line of sight.

I ask about the size of your coop because from my observations dominate hens like the submissive hens to be at least 5 feet away from them, and sometimes even further. They don't want to share the roost either, so multiple roost options is important for everyone to find a place.

I've seen other hens peck and pull on other hens combs in the nest box trying to make them move. That's probably how yours got the comb injury.

What breeds? Some are more forward than others.

How big is your coop? There's always a bottom bird in a flock. Everyone pecks them. The more scared they act the more it attracts attention. It helps to give them places to hide or get away. Things to get up on, or under. Even pallets leaned against the wall can give them somewhere to hide, and breaks the line of sight.

I ask about the size of your coop because from my observations dominate hens like the submissive hens to be at least 5 feet away from them, and sometimes even further. They don't want to share the roost either, so multiple roost options is important for everyone to find a place.

I've seen other hens peck and pull on other hens combs in the nest box trying to make them move. That's probably how yours got the comb injury.

What breeds? Some are more forward than others.
Thanks for the reply!
I don't think space is an issue. 12 hens, an 8 x 8 coop with two 8 foot roosts. And a shorter jump up mini roost to help them get up to the roost. they could all pile on one roost but usually the top hens are on one and the outcasts on the other. Our run is large - 8 x 20 feet. There's a 25 foot chunnel that connects the run to an additional run/play/bathing area that we call the west wing. If I remember correctly it's about 14 x 16 feet. So lots of room.
There is a metal chair, a side table, and a 2 x 3 1/2 foot storage bin in the run that they all enjoy hopping up on. The outcast girl MooseTracks likes to jump up there to get her share of special treats I give to all, and to keep herself away from the other girls.
If it was just one bully I would get it. But it seems to be one main leader bully and a gang of others that jump into the action. I've seen them all take a peck at her, as they all do to each other, but that's different than jumping on her and drilling at her head.
More furniture and hiding places in the west wing but she's been staying out of there.
It was more than a comb injury unfortunately, it was ripped off. No real pecking marks either, just a clean rip. That made us wonder if it was an accident but we could find no place that could have done that to her.
That's a good idea on the toys, hiding places, and more junk for them to explore in the run. I thought they had a lot already, but maybe more places to jump on would make them happy enough to leave her alone. If it would help I can send pictures of run, west wing, chunnel, and coop.

Thanks for the reply!
I don't think space is an issue. 12 hens, an 8 x 8 coop with two 8 foot roosts. And a shorter jump up mini roost to help them get up to the roost. they could all pile on one roost but usually the top hens are on one and the outcasts on the other. Our run is large - 8 x 20 feet. There's a 25 foot chunnel that connects the run to an additional run/play/bathing area that we call the west wing. If I remember correctly it's about 14 x 16 feet. So lots of room.
There is a metal chair, a side table, and a 2 x 3 1/2 foot storage bin in the run that they all enjoy hopping up on. The outcast girl MooseTracks likes to jump up there to get her share of special treats I give to all, and to keep herself away from the other girls.
If it was just one bully I would get it. But it seems to be one main leader bully and a gang of others that jump into the action. I've seen them all take a peck at her, as they all do to each other, but that's different than jumping on her and drilling at her head.
More furniture and hiding places in the west wing but she's been staying out of there.
It was more than a comb injury unfortunately, it was ripped off. No real pecking marks either, just a clean rip. That made us wonder if it was an accident but we could find no place that could have done that to her.
That's a good idea on the toys, hiding places, and more junk for them to explore in the run. I thought they had a lot already, but maybe more places to jump on would make them happy enough to leave her alone. If it would help I can send pictures of run, west wing, chunnel, and coop.
Ugh I was in the middle of typing a detailed breakdwon of breeds & temperaments and the page disappeared and came back with my typing gone. Grrrrr. Mixed breeds. 1 RIR, 1 Easter Egger, 3 white leghorn/CA grays, 7 mixed Isa Brown or red star, or golden brown & white something or anothers. The latter seem to be the more aggressive of the bunch.

Ugh I was in the middle of typing a detailed breakdwon of breeds & temperaments and the page disappeared and came back with my typing gone. Grrrrr. Mixed breeds. 1 RIR, 1 Easter Egger, 3 white leghorn/CA grays, 7 mixed Isa Brown or red star, or golden brown & white something or anothers. The latter seem to be the more aggressive of the bunch.
One more thing...all 12 of these hens grew up together from babies. They'll be 2 years old next week. Makes no sense why they are suddenly treating her like a new hen, like she doesn't belong. Could it be because she looks different and no longer has a comb?

She may be acting odd or unwell. Chickens hide illness very well because the flock instincts seem to be to kill or drive out any unwell birds. That may be why they all are after her now. They may be able to detect something us humans can not. I personally would remove or pen separately the one instead of trying to change the dynamics of the stronger hens.

I once had to pen one of my bottom hens for a few months because she became so reactive to the bullying that it fed into the behaviors. After a few months everyone forgot about it and I released her.

She may be acting odd or unwell. Chickens hide illness very well because the flock instincts seem to be to kill or drive out any unwell birds. That may be why they all are after her now. They may be able to detect something us humans can not. I personally would remove or pen separately the one instead of trying to change the dynamics of the stronger hens.

I once had to pen one of my bottom hens for a few months because she became so reactive to the bullying that it fed into the behaviors. After a few months everyone forgot about it and I released her.
Thank you! That seems to make the most sense, if you can even use sense and hens in the same sentence. 🤪🥴
Just the fact that she no longer has a comb might trigger their aggressive rejection. So sad 😞 for her.
We’re going to find a larger crate to keep her in during the day in the run in full view and the regular dog crate in the coop at night for sleeping.
I’ll quit trying to force the reintegration. It may never happen. My chicken therapy days are over, can’t change them Thanks for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom