Hen mating other hen???

demonic

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
New York
Like in any pecking order, there are ones lower than others. I’ve seen my 1 year old (laying) ISA Brown mating the hens that she bullies. And I mean mating, not getting on top. Wings covered, hen squatted on the ground, the trembling/shaking and ruffling of feathers after. Is it common to see bully hens do this to lower hens? Because I’ve never seen anything like this.

Yes. It happens. But usually without the full on cloaca to cloaca contact. That may indicate the aggressive hen has a damaged ovary and androgens are replacing her normal hormones. If this indeed is the case, you may see a change in her feathering over time, as well as her growing a little larger. No, she won't turn into a rooster, but she may stop looking like a normal hen.

Yes. It happens. But usually without the full on cloaca to cloaca contact. That may indicate the aggressive hen has a damaged ovary and androgens are replacing her normal hormones. If this indeed is the case, you may see a change in her feathering over time, as well as her growing a little larger. No, she won't turn into a rooster, but she may stop looking like a normal hen.
Would she stop laying eggs? Because of a damaged ovary?

Yes, a damaged ovary will not release any yolks or hormones. Without estrogen, her supply of yolks that she was hatched with will dry up and absorb into her system. She will be infertile. If she still lays eggs, then it's indication her ovary isn't damaged. Her behavior would then be idiopathic, meaning there is no apparent cause.

Back
Top Bottom