Hen mouth hurts too much to eat

lplilg43

Chirping
Aug 26, 2023
Hello! I was advised to post in this forum because my sweet girl might have Fowl Pox or Canker? She is very hungry but food seems to hurt her mouth too much to eat. I'm attaching a photo of her mouth (the dark is the tip of her tongue - not her mouth). I also a video of her behavior. She is 11 years old and has always been very hardy and healthy. I bought her as a hatchling from a feed store that vaccinated the chicks (for what I don't know). She also has a lice problem that we are dealing with fairly successfully.
IMG_3405.JPG

For people if you have a canker- use L-lysine, it is an over the counter amino acid that is like a vitamine, also it is good for people that have pimples.

Get as close as you can and smell the inside of the hens mouth. If you smell a foul odor, it's canker. Treatment is Metronidazole followed up with monthly treatments with Acidified Copper Sulfate.
I cant tell if it's wet pox or not. Fowl pox is mainly caused by infected mosquitos; dry pox is more common and there would be lesions/scabs on combs and wattles. Wet pox shows a yellowish plaque inside the mouth and entrance to the esophagus. There is no treatment since it's a virus.
Have you seen mucus at the back of her throat or white patches in the roof of her mouth or at the back of the throat? If so, it could be a yeast infection. Treatment is acidified copper sulfate.

Get as close as you can and smell the inside of the hens mouth. If you smell a foul odor, it's canker. Treatment is Metronidazole followed up with monthly treatments with Acidified Copper Sulfate.
I cant tell if it's wet pox or not. Fowl pox is mainly caused by infected mosquitos; dry pox is more common and there would be lesions/scabs on combs and wattles. Wet pox shows a yellowish plaque inside the mouth and entrance to the esophagus. There is no treatment since it's a virus.
Have you seen mucus at the back of her throat or white patches in the roof of her mouth or at the back of the throat? If so, it could be a yeast infection. Treatment is acidified copper sulfate.
Thank you, much appreciated. I did not smell anything in her mouth and didn't see any mucus buildup, but only one of the many times I opened her mouth, I did see a clear mucus string from top to bottom near back of throat. I bought Spartrix for canker, and Medistatin for Candidiasis (before posting) but they won't arrive for five days. Would it be safe to give them if she has neither? Should I also give Metronidazole (I would have to order) or is the Spartrix sufficient?

No need to buy the Metronidazole. If it's canker, the Carnidazole should work.
I would start with the Medistatin first since you saw mucus in the back of the throat, follow the directions on the label.

Since the meds are 5 days out, I recommend giving her an Epsom salt flush. The Epsom salt flush might even clear up the problem your hen is having.
Mix one teaspoon of Epsom salt into a cup of water (use measuring spoons.) Stir it well. No need to make a fresh batch daily.
Use a 10ml syringe without a needle and draw up 8ml and give it orally to your hen 2 times a day for 3 days.

Have someone hold the hen for you while you're administering the liquid. You can slowly dribble a little liquid on the side of her beak to drink. If she refuses to open her mouth or drinks too little, gently pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open. Then give her the liquid orally, no more than 1/4ml at a time and quickly let go of her wattles so she can swallow the liquid. Be careful NOT to give her too much liquid at once, she could aspirate, and dont give her more than 1/4ml at a time. Hopefully you'll be able to give her the full amount...8ml.
You should see improvement by the end of day two. Let us know how it goes.

No need to buy the Metronidazole. If it's canker, the Carnidazole should work.
I would start with the Medistatin first since you saw mucus in the back of the throat, follow the directions on the label.

Since the meds are 5 days out, I recommend giving her an Epsom salt flush. The Epsom salt flush might even clear up the problem your hen is having.
Mix one teaspoon of Epsom salt into a cup of water (use measuring spoons.) Stir it well. No need to make a fresh batch daily.
Use a 10ml syringe without a needle and draw up 8ml and give it orally to your hen 2 times a day for 3 days.

Have someone hold the hen for you while you're administering the liquid. You can slowly dribble a little liquid on the side of her beak to drink. If she refuses to open her mouth or drinks too little, gently pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open. Then give her the liquid orally, no more than 1/4ml at a time and quickly let go of her wattles so she can swallow the liquid. Be careful NOT to give her too much liquid at once, she could aspirate, and dont give her more than 1/4ml at a time. Hopefully you'll be able to give her the full amount...8ml.
You should see improvement by the end of day two. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate this information. :)

Back
Top Bottom