Hen named Penguin

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by b4096, Jan 14, 2011.

1. b4096

b4096 New Egg

Jan 13, 2011
    If no predator, disease or human interference happens to it along the way, how long can a chicken be expected to live? We had an old Brahma Hen die just a few days ago. I am not sure how old she was because we got her as an adult hen. She lay eggs for a little while and then stopped and started to grow really fat. It got to where she couldn’t climb up the rail to the hen house. So at night, I would go out and pick her up and set her inside on the straw. Then one morning she didn’t come out, so I looked inside the hen house, and sure enough she had just rolled over and lights out. The kids and I had named her “Penguin” because her tail end had dropped down towards the ground, which made her stand just like a Penguin. She even walked like one. Sadly, I am going to miss that old bird…
  2. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    How long was she walking like a penguin? From other posts I have read in the past when a hen is walking like a penguin was a sign of being egg bound.
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

I agree that it doesn't sound like she died of old age, more likely eggbound. Did she live as part of a flock or all by herself.

I know someone that has 10 year old brahmas. They can live longer than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by