Hen not laying eggs

Elana DeBolt

Songster
5 Years
May 27, 2017
Arkansas
One of my hens stopped laying for over 3 now, she is over 4 years old and a little on the fat side plus she has been a little stressed, (i know that those can be factors that causes no eggs), and if that was the only thing i wouldn't be to concerned because i can help her with that. What i'm concerned with is she doesn't leave her nest ( out of 3 weeks she has only left the nest 2 time, first time she went out of the coop and the second time was to switch nests), she doesn't poop very often but when she does it's a lot, she doesn't eat or drink unless i bring it to her. i can't bring her to the vet because we are to far away. Please if any one has had this problem any advice is needed.

Sounds like she's gone broody. Her hormones are telling her to hatch some chicks, even if she's sitting on nothing. Eventually she will realise nothing is going to hatch (it may take up to another 3 weeks), give up, have a little molt and get back to normal. She should start laying again 5-6 weeks after giving up. You could try breaking her but she's been broody a long time so even that would take awhile.

I don't think she's broody because she is mostly perched on the front board of the nest in the day, she isn't trying to peck at me, and when she lays in the nest she has her right leg kicked out a bit. I've had a broody hen and she didn't act like this.

Back
Top Bottom