Hen not laying in nest box, now everyone keeps breaking and eating her eggs?!

DoubleYolk123

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
Nottinghamshire, UK
I have 6 hybrids, all laying. 1 hen (don’t know which) keeps laying her eggs out of the nest box near the door. So I’m the morning everyone goes running out and end up stepping all over her egg. Once it’s cracked they then eat it. How do I get her to lay in the nest box?
I also have another hen who doesn’t lay in the box but she lays her eggs in the corner out the way and hers never get broken, so not too concerned for her.
Thanks in advance.....

I have one that keeps laying from the roost, and most days the egg gets cracked and eaten, but sometimes the 1/2 screen on the bottom of the coop provides just enough give to cushion the fall. No idea which one it is either, but she is laying real early in the morning before dawn.

Are they getting bullied out of the nesting box by the others. Is the nesting box big enough or do you have enough? Is there privacy where the nesting box is? Is the bedding the same on the floor as it is in the boxes?

Since they generally like to feel secure you could add a enclosed cat litter box (converted to a laying box by adding bedding instead of cat litter ;) ) {Put it where the hen is laying with out the door flap if it comes with one and slowly move it a little each day towards the nesting box area. Maybe once she gets used to laying near the nesting box area you can remove the litter box and she'll look to the laying boxes you want her to lay in. They also make corner litter boxes for the one laying in the corner to keep your eggs clean and off the floor. You can find some enclosed litter boxes that will work as cheap as $12.00 each online at Walmart.

1600093661578.png

The funny thing is she has laid in the nesting box on a few occasions....just not most occasions. bedding in nesting boxes is pine shavings, no bedding on the bottom of the raised cage, just 1/2 hardware cloth. Makes for easy once a week spray down cleaning!

I’m not sure about the bullying bit, most of my hens lay before I let them out, there is hay in the nesting area and sawdust on the floor, however the nest boxes aren’t really “boxes” more like a long tray with a small barrier in between each one. So TECHNICALLY I have 4 boxes for 6 hens.

I have one that keeps laying from the roost, and most days the egg gets cracked and eaten, but sometimes the 1/2 screen on the bottom of the coop provides just enough give to cushion the fall. No idea which one it is either, but she is laying real early in the morning before dawn.
Try putting a fake ceramic egg in each box. If she's a young layer she maybe a bit confused where she is supposed to lay. Monkey see , monkey do, so she might see the fake eggs and light go off in her chicken brain telling her to lay where she sees other eggs. Fake eggs have been known to encourage new layers where to lay and some even like to practice sitting on fake eggs.

I’m not sure about the bullying bit, most of my hens lay before I let them out, there is hay in the nesting area and sawdust on the floor, however the nest boxes aren’t really “boxes” more like a long tray with a small barrier in between each one. So TECHNICALLY I have 4 boxes for 6 hens.
Try putting a fake egg in each box on top of clean welcoming bedding and it might be inviting enough for her to try it out instead of the floor. If the dividers are low where they can see each other maybe add a little height for privacy.

Once it’s cracked they then eat it. How do I get her to lay in the nest box?
Is there any shell remaining....is it good and hard or thin/soft and thus easily broken?
Might need to let them out earlier?

Any photos of the nest area? Maybe you can improve it to make it more user friendly or appealing?
Ditto Dat!

Back
Top Bottom