Hen not laying... Too many roosters?

How old is the hen (hen is the name once it reaches 1 year of age, until then it is a pullet)?
The hen-rooster ratio has nothing to do with laying or not. Lack of mating most likely indicates that they are not yet mature.
Although with that amount of roosters, once they start mating they will rip your hen to pieces. 1-9 is the recommended ratio.
She is 11 months . Males are 11 months to a year

How old are all the birds in question? Silkies can be difficult to sex. Are you positive of their genders?

If you are sure of their genders, why are you keeping all 5 males? And in the same pen with one lone female? They may get along now but at some point that gender ratio is going to cause some major problems.

11 months to a year. Obviously if they got aggressive with her I would separate but as of now they are all very friendly with eachother

Hello!

I am new to the chicken world and have alot to learn. I bought a breeding pair about 2 months ago and the hen has yet to lay an egg. In my coop I have 5 roosters and 1 hen. Could this be the problem? There is enough space for all and enough boxes. She hasn't layed any eggs and haven't see any mating as well. The roosters really don't mess with her and all of them get along. I'm in Florida so we are still having 80+ degree weather here so that is not the issue. Also, these are all silkies. .

Thanks for any tips or answers. I can't wait to be a pro on the chicken world one day!
Oh wow that is most definitely putting stress on that poor hen. You need to give away or put down at least 4 roosters. I am sure as old as this post is they are all gone by now. But for anyone new reading your question.

Back
Top Bottom