Hen or Roo Barred Rock?

Barred rock to the far left and far right

far left and far right again

on the right

These pics arent the clearest or closest but I thought a few photos to compare to might help. These are my barred rocks pullets at about 3 1/2weeks old

Last edited:
Mine look awfully similar so that is good news. Thanks. I have one whose comb is still that sort of yellow but is a little pink underneath. Do you have that on any of your girls?

Here is an updated pic of my two hatchery BRs. Any thoughts on sex? They are almost 8 weeks.

I'm new to all this, but I do have a dozen of Barred Rock chicks I stare at everyday (yeah I'm way into it
tongue.png
) that are 8 weeks old and those look like 2 pullets to me. Roosters would be way whiter by now and my 3 roosters have waddles showing.
Hum...let me find a picture of a 8 week old rooster...

There...that should confort you into confirming you have some pullets
thumbsup.gif

Barred Rock pullets can be very dark or lighter than normal. Have had both, but usually they are darker than males. They do not always have a very dark wash and males can have some dark spotting on the leg fronts, too. BR sexing is not 100% accurate and some have conflicting traits.

Here's the kicker: if you're not sure of the breed, i.e. if it's a pure BR or not, you can have a dark male that looks very much like a BR pullet...for a few weeks, until that comb pops right up there. Case in point was some accidental crosses I hatched from a friend's BR flock. Her Silver Phoenix rooster got in a few good matings, unbeknownst to us, and I ended up with three or four SP/BR cross cockerels and one pullet. The males looked like BR pullets with ghosty barring and slightly longer tails, until the combs turned bright pink by four weeks old. The pullet was solid black.

Last edited:
My 8 barred rocks were supposed to be black sex links. Between 2 and 3 weeks I knew roos from pullets. I got lucky. Mine fit the the standard guidelines. I knew before I ever looked to see what they were. I knew breed from thread speckledhen replied to someone else with black sex links that turned out to be barred rocks. Not all birds fits in the general guidelines. Unless your the breeder or know the breeder, parents are always in question. That changes the guidelines. Guidelines turns into questions and guesses.

Back
Top Bottom