1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or roo? Picture heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TubbyChicken, Sep 17, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    The first one and most concerning...

Buff Polish, 13 weeks, not wattles at all, no comb and no crowing. (Her crest is wet in these pictures which makes it look spikey)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the light Brahma (I think)...I'm thinking pullet still. Tiny wattles, comb is still pale but she does challenge the other birds a lot. She is still peeping. I'm not sure of her age though or whether or not she is a bantam.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the white crested black polish...She also has long feathers around her tail, is 13 weeks, has no comb or wattles and is not crowing.
    Her head is out of focus here...
    [​IMG]

and...this supposed to be a Splash Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. I'm almost sure she is a pullet.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    The BLRW is adorable.

3. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Thank you! She has a lot of gold in her...and now I'm starting to see the greyish blue coming through. She is very timid though.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'm no polish Expert but they all look like pullets to me.

5. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    #2 a roo, and #4 possibly a roo. I'm not good at Polish. They are all beautiful!

6. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Really? I'm almost certain the BLRW isn't a roo...we actually had a roo with her and the differences were obvious.

I'm also not seeing any signs of roo with the Light Brahma yet. Maybe I should do some more inspecting. LOL

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I think the polish are both pullets. I have 13wk buff polish who looks just like that. No wattles at all, face still yellow with no red at all showing. The curved feathers at the base of the tail look rounded, not pointy. Just like mine, and I think mine is a girl. I have a 13wk silver-laced polish who is obviously male, with a very spiky do, a red face, and his saddle feathers are obviously pointy.

8. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG] I really hope so. I'm hoping that these are all girls. I've already given two roos away that were in this bunch, and I'm getting rather attached to these ladies.

9. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Quote:Really? I'm almost certain the BLRW isn't a roo...we actually had a roo with her and the differences were obvious.

I'm also not seeing any signs of roo with the Light Brahma yet. Maybe I should do some more inspecting. LOL

The BLRW I'm definitely not sure on. It's tail feathers have the droopy long roo look, but do appear rounded. It does make me think roo though. The Light Brahma, I'm almost sure is a roo. It has the very pronounced long pointy roo tail feathers.

10. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Anyone else care to guess? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by