Hen or Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dogwood Farm, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Dogwood Farm

Dogwood Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    I would have guaranteed all my Rocks were hens. But someone got me questioning them. What is your opinion. Is this a hen or rooster.
    I'm still saying hen. I have a Buff rooster and a Rhode Island Red and they are guaranteed roosters.
    [​IMG]

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    You need to have a picture of the feet and tail. How old is this hen/roo? Even 'sexed chicks' are sometimes mistaken.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    X2

4. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    This one was hatched around Dec. 26th 27th We went out to Polk OH on Dec. 28th to pick up our peeps

5. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I still need a picture of the legs and tail.

6. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    She looks like a pullet to me.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's a pullet. The red comb means that her body is getting ready for egg production.

8. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    I have never had problems ordering hens. Well this time we were trying to help a fellow worker out by ordering his wife 6 hens with ours so she could get a break on the price. Meyer's is only about 3 hrs from us so we decided what the heck we will drive out and get them ourselves instead of having them shipped. Now I will guarantee I have a Buff Rooster, and a Rhode Island Red rooster out of the 39 peeps I picked up that day but I figured ok what the heck not a big deal. Well the friend is all worried his Rocks are roosters and I can't find my old pics I had of my old chickens I sold back around Thanksgiving. I wanted to start out all new and fresh with new chickens I would have never questioned a single one of my Barrs if it weren't for him questioning the ones he got. I figured out today that one of my Easter Eggers is a rooster also. He crowed in front of me. Even that wouldn't have bother me. I thinking of just buying the chickens he got back off of him so he can forget about it. Actually if I figure if none of his are crowing yet they are hens. My roosters are crowing up a storm since they learned how to make noise.

9. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple more pictures of the ones we were questioning.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by