HEN OR ROOSTER

How many pullets/hens do you have? They might be the ones that you need to be concerned about. Two adolescent cockerels with hormones raging is going to take it's toll on them, especially with Spring on the way. Your speckled guy is just slow to mature, but things may ramp up a bit now and you may end up with bare backed, harassed ladies. Keep an eye and ear out for the girls hiding on the roost and not coming down to eat or screaming blue murder because two males are both trying to mount her. It can get unpleasant for them.
i have 8 hens, two at six months, four at seven months and two just about at a year. so far the buff/americana rooster is doing most of the mating and the speckled is happy to be number two even tho he is six months and the buff is five but larger. they seem to get along pretty good right now with little fighting but i will prob have to pick one to go in the future and i know that

Attachments

• 20180115_130604.jpg
    20180115_130604.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180121_094229.jpg
    20180121_094229.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 9
Unless you want to breed to some purpose, it would be best to keep the roo who is non-aggressive to humans and good with the hens.

If they are not over breeding the hens and pullets and not fighting then you may get away with keeping both if you don't mind feeding two extra mouths but you will need to monitor the situation and assess on a daily basis as things can turn ugly quite quickly with young males. As you have seen, they mature at different rates and when the Sussex catches up and hormones surge in spring things might become untenable. That said, Sussex are usually fairly laid back birds, so it may work.

SS are beautiful, and I love the hens. The cockerels I've had varied greatly in 'human aggressive' issues. half of them were great, and half were NOT. If your boy is good now, hopefully he'll still be fine in spring.
You have time to sort it out, as long as everyone is polite.
Mary

If they are not over breeding the hens and pullets and not fighting then you may get away with keeping both if you don't mind feeding two extra mouths but you will need to monitor the situation and assess on a daily basis as things can turn ugly quite quickly with young males. As you have seen, they mature at different rates and when the Sussex catches up and hormones surge in spring things might become untenable. That said, Sussex are usually fairly laid back birds, so it may work.
yes im hoping, dont want to hurt the hens with two active roos and with spring arriving and the speckled just coming into his own i worry, hate to see the speckled end up on someones table if i have to get rid of him. he will be a big beautiful boy

SS are beautiful, and I love the hens. The cockerels I've had varied greatly in 'human aggressive' issues. half of them were great, and half were NOT. If your boy is good now, hopefully he'll still be fine in spring.
You have time to sort it out, as long as everyone is polite.
Mary
yes hes sweet and seems to be ok at the moment but soon will be just as large as the buff and then who knows, keeping my fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom