HEN OR ROOSTER

lonestarfarmer

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2017
i bought several baby chicks this past spring and summer. all supposed to be hens. this speckled sussex is six months old and up until recently has never given me any reason to believe that it is anything but a hen. a bit back i did hear it make sort of a crow once but then nothing. i wanted to add a roo and last week got a five month old who was already crowing and mating and a big buff mix. there was a short spat between the speckled and this roo in the beginning but not long and nothing really rough. since then tho i have heard the speckled trying to crow but really sounds terrible and ive caught it trying to mate with the hens when the other is looking away and such. ive heard that there have been times when a hen will act like a roo and just wondering if by looking at this bird any of you guys can tell. thanks for any replies in advance
20180121_094212.jpg
20180121_094229.jpg
20180121_094212.jpg 20180121_094229.jpg 20180121_094212.jpg 20180121_094229.jpg

How many pullets/hens do you have? They might be the ones that you need to be concerned about. Two adolescent cockerels with hormones raging is going to take it's toll on them, especially with Spring on the way. Your speckled guy is just slow to mature, but things may ramp up a bit now and you may end up with bare backed, harassed ladies. Keep an eye and ear out for the girls hiding on the roost and not coming down to eat or screaming blue murder because two males are both trying to mount her. It can get unpleasant for them.

Definitely a cockerel, as you've already discovered. My first chicks last spring were 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Easter Eggers. 3 out of the 4 turned out to be cockerels. I was in denial for a good while, because I loved my SS "girls" so much! They had great personalities, but I couldn't have 3 roos with 1 hen, especially when I only wanted hens. Hopefully you can figure a way for him to stay. He's a handsome boy!

Back
Top Bottom