1st Photo 7months (2019)
2nd 3rd Photo 1year (2020)
Note: does not crow (yet) & no spurs
E63EC829-CF3B-4945-B666-16CD049C87D1.jpeg
E63EC829-CF3B-4945-B666-16CD049C87D1.jpeg
9F16C8BD-CD1B-41A8-A4BE-C83AACCE626C.jpeg
02D7E3BC-AB74-4248-AEF2-552C7B5E1EDA.jpeg

That's a cockerel.
Oh dear! I thought so... When may He be expected to crow? (Hopefully, an effortless crow)
& mounting? None of this behaviour has been displayed at
1yr old to date. Younger than 3 Silkie hens copped with, (1 Silkie dislikes him & stays in-coop)-he does peck her butt when opportunity arises.

He entered the flock young and was taken under the silkies wing so to speak... hopefully this will keep him at a low level crow. He is friendly doesn’t mind to be hand held.

As for “springtime” as long as a daily egg collection is placed in fridge this would stop breeding process? Unit a suitable time for breeding more chickens becomes available.

He entered the flock young and was taken under the silkies wing so to speak... hopefully this will keep him at a low level crow. He is friendly doesn’t mind to be hand held.

As for “springtime” as long as a daily egg collection is placed in fridge this would stop breeding process? Unit a suitable time for breeding more chickens becomes available.
Yes. An egg will only develop into a chick if sat on nonstop by a broody for 21 days.

Also sometimes with a rooster lower in the pecking order they won’t crow. I had a rooster who was at the bottom and wouldn’t crow for almost 2 years, but one day he finally did.

He is apparently a slow maturing bird. Secondary characteristic male feathering is just beginning and comb is not largely developed. Hopefully he will remain quiet and gentlemanly.
Yes. An egg will only develop into a chick if sat on nonstop by a broody for 21 days.
thankyou.
He is content with the 3 silkies.
My other pen has 1 Mother Hen-Wyandotte 3yrs (she is the boss lady 1/2 tries to crow when daylight saving changes), housed with a Frizzle of same age and two bantams (sizzle and Belgium duccle... 2yrs)

Now that this little Rooster is growing up; hopefully he will class the Silkie ladies as his and not show interest to the other coop. At this stage there is no interest. But he can fly 500mm high and 1.5mt distance. (He flew over as I was taking photos of him) he flew to the silkies.

Thankyou everyone who has replied with a lot of insight.. I’m glad I signed up to this site! I should have years ago. My white Silkie has gone through a lot with wry neck, all well now with complete recovery (it was very bad) no longer wimpy and bottom of pecking order...(she does have a crooked beak since birth from seller, but doesn’t appear to affect her) she gets in and has her say and involvement with her two silky mates... however, I need to bring her out morn and afternoon to be social eat n drink because now Mr Rooster (past month, mainly since growth spurt) and her aren’t social. -I’m sure they’ll iron it out; She will flare up her wings to him and dart past him; he will peck her butt, she will often just run inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom