Hen or Rooster

rigagirl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 28, 2008
churchville ny
I can't remember what breed, Jersey? No spurs and just started to crow. About 1.5 yrs old. It sits in the boxes like its going to lay but not sure if it has, always assumed it did. Other than the crowing it might do it does not act like other roosters i have had. Any help please

Last edited:
Looks like a rhode island red or new hampshire red pullet. Females have been known to take on the roo role if none are present. Rhode island red girls I had were a bit darker red but the body of yours looks like a female.

rir cockeral about 5 mths old

Rir pullet

Yes i thought that is what she was doing was taking on the role. I have had RIRs roosters before and do have hens. Oh i do have another one of this breed and she is most definitely a hen, her comb is small and she is a bit smaller. I guess not having spurs is what has me confused

Last edited:
That looks to be the elusive crowing hen that makes everyone think their <1 year old male is a female! It would be interesting to know if she actually lays, my understanding is the hormonal imbalance that leads them to crow often shuts down egg production.

When I took the roo from my rir flock for about 4 months then let some cockerels out to free range with the ladies in the coop my head hen started acting like a roo. She'd put her 'hackles' up, peck and fight the cockerels through the fence! Still layed an egg every day but won her little battles with the youngsters:)

Back
Top Bottom