Hen Pecked Silkie Rooster

Byrdj

Songster
Dec 7, 2008
Commerce, GA
Need Help Silkie breeders! I bought an eight month old Silkie rooster and put him in a pen with a 2 year old Silkie hen. She is totally dominant over him and there is no way she will let him breed with her. Everytime he gets too close to her she runs him off. It's been that way for three months now. I bought him to fertilize her eggs but it's a lost cause for now. Should I give him more time to take control or should I get rid of him and start looking for a more dominant rooster?

He's eight months old. The hen is two years old. I'll try putting in a 5 month old pullet in with them to hopefully build his confidence. I don't know anything about how to AI.

Yes, AI or like the last person suggested- build his confidence first.

Have the roo in pen by himself. Can be adjoining his 'intended mate', does not matter much but what counts is he be by himself. Have him alone for a week or so.. the idea is let him eventually get over his 'fear' and gain a sense of 'this terrority is MINE!'.

If you have a small pullet or hen- does not have to be silkie.. small because it will be easier for him to try to dominate and also if he is a virgin, will be easier for him to learn how to breed properly.. when the roo is confident looking.. try quietly introducing the pullet/hen to HIS pen.. if he acts aggressive towards her, don't worry.. that is good too- that's confidence building for him and he needs to learn he can stand up to a bossy hen if need be. If he either aggresses against the introduced hen or courts her and she does not beat him up... if he tries to breed her, excellent! Leave her in with him.. that will boost his confidence way up. Only then do you try moving the true intended to his pen.. hopefully she will be meek in new surroundings and the roo will trick-dominate her.. or if she challenges him.. and he tries to fight back, let him. If he wins, then you're set for fertile eggs.

Sometimes I will even leave the 'training' pullet/hen in the roo pen, sometimes those help the rooster accidentally by challenging and dealing with a bossy hen into being more meek and in the 'confusion' the roo will come out on the top. Also if he has a big crest, sometimes I will trim that and let him see much better.

Last edited:
take the hen out, leave him by himself in the pen by himself for a couple of weeks... then reintroduce her to him.. not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom