Hen picking and eating rooster feathers

NoCluckingAround

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
Southern Ontario
I have a rooster that is getting plucked by a hen, mostly on the necks and near the base of the tale. They have access to good layer feed all day and the my kids also collect and feed them worms and bugs. I scrambled some eggs for them this morning and it didn’t really get touched. Does anybody have any advice to stop this behaviour?

Attachments

• A0E19BB4-7F47-4656-A251-4FE76DA3AF75.jpeg
    A0E19BB4-7F47-4656-A251-4FE76DA3AF75.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 30
Are you giving them enough calcium? Make sure they always have calcium chips available to eat whenever they need them.
To stop the behavior, I recommend getting some pine tar and putting it on the spots where the hen is pulling his feathers. Chickens hate the taste of pine tar, and once she gets a taste of it, she will very quickly stop pulling his feathers out.

Feather picking could possibly be related to needing more protein, or just plain boredom, though in this case, some of it sounds like grooming gone too far. Not unheard of to have a rooster having his neck and throat groomed bare by his favorite hen(s) - doesn't seem to bother them that much, but not very pretty to look at.

Is this a bad idea if too little protein could be an issue?
Yes.

Space can really be an issue.
Best to start a new thread with the details of your flock.
-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
-and what all and how exactly you are feeding,
might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.

Yes.

Space can really be an issue.
Best to start a new thread with the details of your flock.
-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
-and what all and how exactly you are feeding,
might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.
Thank you!

Lots of other posts I will check out so I won't bother with a new thread. My chickens have a fair amount of room thanks to paths shoveled through our orchard in the snow, but they are hanging in their coop right now due to cold temps and ridiculous snowfall and are getting up to bad behaviour they haven't taken to before.

I'll try upping protein and looking to diversions other than food but it is tough in the cold, dark days of winter!

Are you giving them enough calcium? Make sure they always have calcium chips available to eat whenever they need them.
To stop the behavior, I recommend getting some pine tar and putting it on the spots where the hen is pulling his feathers. Chickens hate the taste of pine tar, and once she gets a taste of it, she will very quickly stop pulling his feathers out.
Thanks for the advice! They have access to egg shells. The hen in question isn’t laying at the moment which puzzles me even more, thinking she shouldn’t really need the extra protein/calcium?

Back
Top Bottom