Hen picking on Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by srutan23, Mar 17, 2015.

1. srutan23

srutan23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I have 4 Barred Rock hens and a Lavender Maran roo. I have only had them for a little over 2 weeks, but I noticed Sunday that one of the hens is pecking and flapping at the others especially the roo. Is this normal that the rooster would not be at the top of the pecking order? Is she going to be a problem or is this normal?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Sometimes the hens can be at the top but hopefully the rooster will grow and will be less intimidated.

3. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Familiar with the term 'hen pecked'?

She is just wanting to be top bird in the flock. I agree with Chicken Girl1. The roo will hopefully put things back in balance once he matures....unless he likes being 'hen pecked'. LOL

4. srutan23

Mar 3, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    My husband says he is just being a weanie and needs to "man up". Thanks for the responses.

5. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Yes. Roos can be funny. When we introduced our roo he got chased out of coop every night for a good week.lol. now he is"king" of the coop. Give yours time time to get things sorted out I sure he will be "king" soon also:):)

1 person likes this.
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you tell us how old he is and how long he was with these hens and did he know these hens before they came to live with you, that will tell us a lot.

7. srutan23

Mar 3, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    He is only 19 weeks, but I believe they have been together since they hatched however he wasn't the only roo around.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    He's not quite into his hormones, then. In another two or three months, he'll be quite the different fellow. Be prepared for a significant transformation when the hormones kick in!

9. srutan23

Mar 3, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you everyone!

10. evitachu

evitachu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I have a very gentle Polish rooster, Julio, who went bald because a hen picked on him. I separated Julio and put some anti pecking medication for a couple of days. It worked for a while and the picking seemed to stop. This morning I saw Julio's head was bloody from broken crest feather, and even some were completely plucked out and hollowed! Help! How often can I use anti picking lotion and what should I do? Will his crest feather grow back? He is such a macho but gentle rooster....i love him very much and I just spanked Bobbie the hen!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by