Hen Pooping Blood. Not sure what is wrong. Please Help. (Picture Included)

Sundevill11

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Oklahoma
This was on the poop plate this morning (Frozen). Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my hen? Is this a possible sign of worms? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_3911.JPG

Is this a cause for concern if it is the intestinal lining? I've yet to experience this with chickens. She is also in the process of a molt.

Do you have a vet that will do a fecal float test for you? Have your birds ever been wormed? The test will check for worms and coccidia. I have seen droppings like that from birds carrying a load of worms, the test would confirm or rule that out for you.

Do you have a vet that will do a fecal float test for you? Have your birds ever been wormed? The test will check for worms and coccidia. I have seen droppings like that from birds carrying a load of worms, the test would confirm or rule that out for you.

The chickens have never been dewormed. They are all around 1.4 years old. The vet is about an hour away and we've decided that we will take our ducks to the vet but not the chickens. I hate for that to come across the wrong way but we had to draw the line somewhere or the vet bills would get out of control. So for the time being, should I not be eating the eggs of this hen until she either stops shedding the lining or reverts back to normal poops?

You can ask if your vet will do the test without seeing the bird, some will, some won't. The test itself is not usually more than $30, often less. I understand completely, we all have limits and different access to help. You can also do a mail in option like this: https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...liate&utm_medium=category&utm_campaign=ppjcat
If it's worms then the eggs are not an issue. Rarely a roundworm can make it's way into an egg, and if that were to happen you would see it right away (yuck!). It doesn't happen often.
If you suspect worms and can't get a test, then I would worm with Valbazen (https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...MInPSAhtXW3gIVzZ6zCh2UpAdvEAQYBCABEgIY9fD_BwE), since it will take care of most common worms. Dose once and then again 10 days later, orally. Dose is weight in lbs/2.2X20mg/113.6, so for a 6 lb bird dose would be .48ml, round to .5ml. Most people just dose .5 ml for a standard sized hen. If you worm, I personally would worm them all. The usually recommendation for wormers is a 2 week egg withdrawl following worming, some people ignore that and continue to use the eggs. You will need to do what you are comfortable with. I worm every 3 months in my flock, for roundworm, every flock is different.

I truly appreciate your help. Do you think it's okay to use Safeguard as the dewormer? I have that here at the house and have used it on the ducks.

I truly appreciate your help. Do you think it's okay to use Safeguard as the dewormer? I have that here at the house and have used it on the ducks.
If you have Safeguard liquid goat wormer, that will be fine to use.
Dosage for chickens is .23ml per pound of weight given for 5 days in a row - this dosage and length of time should take care of most worms that chickens have.

Back
Top Bottom