Hen prolapse?? Not sure what this is

Jman45

Chirping
Jun 15, 2018
White Georgia
C1867454-B6C2-47E6-A8E2-D3D1AB4CBDAA.jpeg
so I was checking my chickens this morning and when I’m about too leave I notice my hen has something hanging out of her back area, I don’t know if it’s poop or what but here it is, so do I put her down?

There is nothing about what is shown in this photo that says you need to put the bird down immediately without at least taking a closer look and assessing what is actually happening. 1st step is to take the bird and give her a good soak so that you can clean that area and very well visualize what you're dealing with. Prolapse is not an automatic reason to put them down as in many cases it can quite easily be corrected. Get the bird cleaned up and post some photos of the area at that point so we can help you determine what's going on and how best to proceed

I agree. Give her a soak in warm soapy water or Epsom salts, and clean off any droppings. Sometimes they can have an egg stuck as a cause for the prolapse, so check for that. Always keep her exposed red tissue moist with honey, oil, or cream until it gets pushed back inside and stays. Otherwise the tissue dries and dies. Try to push it in, and it may pop back out, but just keep trying and eventually it may stay. You can stop her from laying temporarily by placing her overnight in a dark room or covered crate for 16 hours every day. Let her out for 8 hours while it is light, and let her eat, drink, and walk around. During that time, you can also clean her vent area and apply more lubricant. Here is a good article to read about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Back
Top Bottom