Hen quit laying

FlyingNunFarm

Enabler
8 Years
May 28, 2015
Chesterland, OH
My Coop
My Coop

This is Bossy. She came by that name due to her attitude. I took that picture this morning her 44th day without an egg. She is 3+ years old. I've only had her a year. She went from a steady almost egg a day layer to nothing in 2 weeks. I know hens slow with age but to just stop? You can see her comb is red and her feathers look good. So she's not molting. She is fed flock raiser with oyster shell free choice. I have youngins not yet laying and 2 roosters. Also some fruits and veggies with other left overs. She has outdoor area with grass and plants and plenty of bugs. I did have a slight lice problem. She layed right through it, then stopped. She layed all through last winter, my only girl to do so. I don't see worms or any other parasites. She's not broody. I had a raccoon scare a few months ago. She didn't want to go in the coop at night but layed eggs! She is acting like her normal Bossy self. Could she be done laying eggs? Any thoughts on this would be great. I'm at a loss. Thanks

Not sure but I have an RSL (looks a lot like your girl) who is almost 6 and she stopped laying late in her 3rd year.
Sex links are bred to lay a minimum of 380 eggs and up to 500 eggs in their first two laying years.
These hens will then lay about 20% fewer eggs each year until they are only laying a few eggs a year.

It's the time of year. Looks like she's already started a gradual molt on her head. She may just be doing a very gradual molt that you haven't really noticed. She'll be back to laying once the days start to get longer.

It's the time of year. Looks like she's already started a gradual molt on her head. She may just be doing a very gradual molt that you haven't really noticed. She'll be back to laying once the days start to get longer.

I think the feathers on her head are from my inexperienced roosters. She's had a few small injuries. He's grabbed her comb before. She molted in the spring last time but I hope you're right. I honestly want her to be healthy and happy. The eggs are nice but I her health is more important.

Not sure but I have an RSL (looks a lot like your girl) who is almost 6 and she stopped laying late in her 3rd year.
Sex links are bred to lay a minimum of 380 eggs and up to 500 eggs in their first two laying years.
These hens will then lay about 20% fewer eggs each year until they are only laying a few eggs a year.

I was told RIR but a lot of those red breeds look similar. I have older BLH that have slowed. Out of 4 of them I get an average 6 eggs a week. I thought Bossy would slow over a year or years...not weeks.

Back
Top Bottom