Hen seems lost at night when time to go into coop.

Huggy06

Hatching
Jul 9, 2023
Hi I have 6 hens all about 12 weeks old. They have been doing really well about learning to go into their coop at night. At first they just slept on the floor of the coop so I started helping them up on the roosts at night and they learned that pretty quickly as well. For the past few nights my girl Goldie when I go out to lock the coop up she’s just walking around the run and squawking like she’s lost and doesn’t know where to go anymore. I’ll go bend down and talk to her and she comes over and I pick her up take her to the coop and put her on the roost and she’s fine until morning. I live in northern Arkansas it’s been pretty hot and humid lately but there’s ventilation in the coop and plenty of room for her. I haven’t noticed any bullying and no mites I’ve been checking. It’s as if she’s lost and doesn’t know where to go anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd try watching, but not intervening, until dark has about set in. Does she hang out with the other girls as they go up? Is she a loner and not noticing where everyone else has gone until it is too dark to see? Does she look at the door but refuse to go in herself? Or is she waiting around for her VIP airlift from you?

I've had some bedtime bullies and it's made a girl or two delay until almost the last minute, possibly so they can be sneaky and not get pecked so much. The rest of the time everyone gets along but roosting can turn into a regular pecking order reinforcement session. Not fun for the lowbies.

I've also heard some light in the coop can encourage them while they are still learning. Something else to try if she decides to perch somewhere else vs. going inside.

Hey thank you for your response. Yes all day she’s fine hanging out with the others doing chicken stuff and seems super happy. I’ll try waiting a bit longer and maybe a little light. Thanks again I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom