Hen shaking head, comb white, and eyes turning darker than normal

SideChickn

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2022
Our smaller hen, although she’s the same age, has recently just changed eye color, it used to be a yellow color but now it’s dark. I assumed it was the colder weather and shook it off. Then, I noticed her comb turning white, and also, when I was carrying her, she kept shaking her head violently. She is low in the pecking order and is still getting bullied after 3-4 weeks of the process. She’s been inside her coop while the others are outside. I don’t have a clue what’s wrong with her, but any ideas would be helpful.

Attachments

• 9315CA15-8932-4CA0-AB57-94FA7A1D7AB2.jpeg
    9315CA15-8932-4CA0-AB57-94FA7A1D7AB2.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 28
How old is she? Does her pupil seem blurry or is it looking and behaving normally? Eating and drinking and acting normally? Any signs of respiratory infection (wheezing, sneezing, discharge, etc)? I'd check her ears for anything unusual because if the head shaking though it seems like something deeper is going on with her. The white on her comb and face may just be dry skin, but it could be favus... Is it sort of powdery?

How old is she? Does her pupil seem blurry or is it looking and behaving normally? Eating and drinking and acting normally? Any signs of respiratory infection (wheezing, sneezing, discharge, etc)? I'd check her ears for anything unusual because if the head shaking though it seems like something deeper is going on with her. The white on her comb and face may just be dry skin, but it could be favus... Is it sort of powdery?
She is a little less than a year old, her pupil is acting normally, she is eating and drinking, I just done know how much because she usually just sits in the coop away from the other chickens to avoid being bullied. I did catch her sneeze yesterday evening. I will check up on her today. Her skin isn’t powdery and I’ll check on her ear.

If you have a recovery space for her to spend a week in. You can monitor her condition better and take notes as to what exactly is going on with her. Observation is key to a diagnosis.

I'd also isolate her if possible. The sneeze might just have been random, but with the red eye I would be concerned she is coming down with a respiratory infection, which you don't want spreading.

Back
Top Bottom