Hen shaking her crop and acting weird. (Updated with recovery!)

@azygous, in your instructions for a crop bra you mentioned “neck gyrations” when your hen’s crop was not emptying correctly. Is that what my hen is doing in the videos (my first post)? Could she have pendulous crop? It has been going on for a couple weeks now.

IMG_1609.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok. Will Miconazole harm her if a preventive dose is given? Could I dose her with it as well as get the fecal test done?
No it will not hurt her or affect a fecal float. Be sure to call your vet to make sure that you can bring in a fresh sample inna ziploc bag. Many vets won’t do them, so many of us just go ahead and worm with Valbazen or Safeguard. If you have a vet friend they might do the fecal float if you brought in another pet for shots or an examination.

Usually, if a hen has pendulous crop, it's quite obvious. The condition is caused by weak chest muscles allowing the crop to ride too low for it to drain into the proventriculus. It may swing back and forth as she walks, thus the reason for the name. Usually a crop bra worn at night can do wonders for the condition.

Back
Top Bottom