Hen sits in coop all day and won't lay

paullad

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
This year and a half old hen only comes out of the coop to eat/drink and has enough energy to pick on the pullets for a bit but then goes back to the coop and sits still for hours and has not laid for 5 days. Seems perfectly healthy otherwise. Any ideas? Thx!

This year and a half old hen only comes out of the coop to eat/drink and has enough energy to pick on the pullets for a bit but then goes back to the coop and sits still for hours and has not laid for 5 days. Seems perfectly healthy otherwise. Any ideas? Thx!
My first thought is, is she getting enough crushed egg shells or oyster shells for calcium replacement to make new egg shells?

Most likely broody (but need confirmation of behavior to know for sure) and if so, you need to decide if you want her to hatch or raise chicks, or else it's best to break her.

Maybe broody,if she pecks,clucks and fluffs up when you approach her she’s most likely broody,personally I will give her eggs of my favorite breed and let her hatch them since she will keep them warm,feed them and basically you won’t need to take care of them,if you don’t want chicks just break it

Most likely broody (but need confirmation of behavior to know for sure) and if so, you need to decide if you want her to hatch or raise chicks, or else it's best to break her.
This^^^

Here's my go-to signs of a broody bird:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Back
Top Bottom