Hen sitting 35 days....and counting :(

Newbie6789

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
My Muscovy hen has been sitting consistently on a clutch of eggs since June 8th. I saw the drake on her Frequently ...... by calculation, the eggs should hatch tomorrow. I do not think it is going to happen - the eggs appear dark in color and i see a clear air sac without candling when she is off the nest. Just not getting a good feeling about this hatching. She has been good about culling eggs that were not fertile (started with 18, now at 9). My question is how long do I let her sit if they are bad? will she instinctively know they are not alive? We are getting some very hot and humid weather again mid week and I am not keen on the idea of them exploding in the hut!!! She is very broody, so the only time I can see them is when I see her go for water and run like a wild woman to the hut .

ps. The Pekin is back to laying and lays in a different corner of the hut like before, I found one of the Muscovy eggs next to the new pekin egg, clearly from the broody hen. I have it in an incubator, hence my skepticism of it being alive...no indications of life....but I am keeping it in the incubator with humidity to give it a fighting chance

I think it is past the 35 days - not officially sure as I am letting the hen do the work. Will she continue to sit on the eggs even if they are not viable? Should I get rid of them? If so - -any suggestions on getting her off the nest is greatly appreciated. If I can catch her getting a drink - -I run like crazy to look at the eggs, but that is not a predictable time. thanks in advance

Have you candled? If your not sure on the hatch day you should candle before tossing. I just pick my Muscovy up set her outside and close the door to the coop then candle

Back
Top Bottom