hen started gaping and coughing this morning - I have Zimecterin Gold & liquid goat safeguard - whic

cocoloco

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Hello folks - my Rhode Island Red, Ginger, eats more than my 4 other chickens together - always is the first to run to me to get snacks - very aggressive at pushing the others out of the way - but is still a sweet girl. The heavy snowfall here in Mass in the last 3 weeks has them limited to a small dry area under the coop when they free range. I have always been scared of gapeworm and constantly watch for it. Ginger eats EVERYTHING off the ground - I noticed her gape twice yesterday - but she was eating, drinking, laying normally. Today she did it about 4 or 5 times - and coughed/sneezed a couple of times. She is still eating but I have not seen her drink this morning. I have her separate from the others in my house. She is laying in front of my heater - not acting sick but not her usual top of the pecking order self, either. I have a chicken medicine cabinet - with Zimecterin Gold ( ivermectin/praziquantel paste) and Safeguard Goat liquid (105 fenbendazole). Which would be best - I want to nip this in the bud - I don't mind not eating the eggs for a week or 2 - I just want her well.

She may be showing signs of a respiratory disease, more so than gapeworms. Gapes don't cause coughing and sneezing, but respiratory diseases will plus head shaking, nasal drainage, and sometimes foamy or swollen eyes. You can treat her anyway--the fenbendazole will do fine, the other one is good for tapeworms. Give her 1/4 ml per pound of fenbendazole orally for 3-5 days in a row. Her respiratory problem could be a virus such as infectious bronchitis. MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis are other common diseases. You can look at the symptoms of those in this link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you so much for your reply! I think I caught it early - I checked her head carefully - there's no drainage from eyes or nose and
she is eating and drinking. Her poop is normal. After I posted, I tried several times to videotape her so I could show folks who might be able to tell me what it is. I tried for over 20 min. she never coughed or sneezed once. I gave her a pile of slops (leftovers that are chicken-safe) - she dove into it - was shaking her head a lot and wiping her beak but I think that's from her whole head touching the food. I decided to give her the Safeguard. I have an oral syringe that is great for shooting into their mouths. I read in another post how one owner gave each of their average-size chickens 1/2ml right down the throat. I weighed my chicken - 4 1/2 lbs - so I gave her the same dosage to start. I held her, put the syringe in the corner of her mouth shot it in - and she sneezed it all right back in my face! Lol! Still holding her, I drew another shot - this time, 1 ml (to allow for waste) and she swallowed most of it. After reading your post - I see she probably got a good dose for her weight today. I put her back in my quiet family room when, all of a sudden, she heard the rooster right outside the door (he knew she was in there). She ran to the door, I let her go out as the sun was shining and it was almost 50 degrees today - she looked fine. Later I went out to check on her - she's acting like her old self. I am wondering - do you think I should I keep her inside tonight? Her nesting box is detacheable - I can bring it in for the night. We have a woodstove in our family room - it's about 65 degrees. The coop will probably be about 35 degrees tonight. This morning she ran into the house and sat in front of our little space heater for about 5 min. after spending the night in a 25 degree coop. I have a heat lamp in the coop which I only use when the temp goes below 25. I turned it off 2 days ago - she has not laid an egg in 24 hours - but I attribute that to a rest from the bright red heat lamp. I will continue the safeguard - 1 1/4 ml once a day for 5 days. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I give layer feed along with an afternoon snack of slops and leftovers - mostly made up of greens and fruit. I can increase her protein, no problem.

I would only bring her in if she is acting sick or hunched up. Heat can sometimes cause more breathing problems, but chickens who are really sick need to be kept warm. She doesn't sound too bad, but you can make up your mind what is best.

Back
Top Bottom