hen stealing other eggs

korn19bread

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
i have a silkie hen that has a nest of eggs, she started with 2 and in a week has gathered 8 more chicken eggs and 3 turkey eggs under her. is it normal for her to try so hard to hatch any egg she can? should i put her in her own house, like a brooder and keep the others out and just give her water and food in there for herself? thanks

WHAT YOU HAVE IS A SILKIE GONE BROODY. They are known for that and are also excellent at it. Some say they are the BEST MOMS.... If the eggs are fertile and you want baby chicks, then separate her so she is not bothered by the rest and offer food and water separately near her.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

My broody hen (bantam Cochin) will roll eggs out of the nest next to hers and into her nest. It keeps the eggs warm in the fall and spring so they aren't frozen when I go to collect them.

i have a silkie hen that has a nest of eggs, she started with 2 and in a week has gathered 8 more chicken eggs and 3 turkey eggs under her. is it normal for her to try so hard to hatch any egg she can? should i put her in her own house, like a brooder and keep the others out and just give her water and food in there for herself? thanks
I would separate her...can just be a temporary fence across coop.
Or just mark the first eggs she had and remove others every day....to avoid a staggered hatch.

Many ways to manage a broody hen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

thanks guys. ill be sure to seclude her a little bit tomorrow. she has a doghouse she hid and has been staying in. only time the others go in is to lay more eggs for her to steal. ill close the door and put a screen in the other side to let her see and get light along with food and water. thanks yall.

Back
Top Bottom