Hen suddenly listless, black runny discharge

https://petkeen.com/frogs-found-in-alabama/

Was it a pickerel frog? It would be limp and lifeless if it's in stasis. They dug it up?
Don't know the type of frog it was, but it was dark brown, with a creamy underbelly. We do have tree frogs also. As I mentioned earlier, she had a lump on her neck midway between her beak and the crop. I'm going to do a thorough exam on her today for bite marks, and if none I might go with the poison frog. Would there be any way to tell if she ate any of the frog? Yes, they probably dug it up. thanks again for your input.

Don't know the type of frog it was, but it was dark brown, with a creamy underbelly. We do have tree frogs also. As I mentioned earlier, she had a lump on her neck midway between her beak and the crop. I'm going to do a thorough exam on her today for bite marks, and if none I might go with the poison frog. Would there be any way to tell if she ate any of the frog? Yes, they probably dug it up. thanks again for your input.
maybe if they ate something dead it had gone rancid, which could also cause problems. I'm sorry for your loss :(

https://petkeen.com/frogs-found-in-alabama/

Was it a pickerel frog? It would be limp and lifeless if it's in stasis. They dug it up?
So I just tried to examine her for a snake bite, but didn't see anything obvious - no lumps or raised places. The big lump she had last night is gone now, and I wonder if it was food that moved down to her crop. Would it be worth it to try and direct her crop to see what's in there? I just want to make sure it wasn't either the snake bite or she ate a poisonous frog. I'm at a loss now, both on what to do and the fact that we lost one of our babies.:(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure someone will chime in with support for home necropsy, if you think you're up for it
Right now my wife and I are concluding that she ate a frog. We remember that when they were playing with the frog, the frogs legs looked limp instead of stiff like they would have been had the frog been dead awhile. I could probably cut in to her crop and see if I find frog parts, but we decided to just bury her. We won’t let them play with frogs again.

Back
Top Bottom