Hen suddenly listless, black runny discharge

RedHillChicken

Songster
Dec 3, 2022
One of our hybrid hens has been getting pecked on today by another hybrid (not normal). Her comb has several peck marks, and overall it and her waddle is very pale pink (not normal for her). This afternoon I saw her with her head in a corner, and she was sleeping (I thought). I picked her up, which is usually not possible, and she's practically limp. When I hold her, she just closes her eyes and sleeps. I'm afraid she may be dying, but from what? I did feel her crop, and it seemed squishy. There's a sort of lump higher than her crop, and I tried to massage both the lump and crop. I don't feel any lumps on the rest of her body. Her vent is creamy white, and she has a black liquidy discharge. We have her isolated in the garage and plan to watch her all night. Does anyone have any suggestions, tests, thoughts as to what has happened to her? The rest of our flock seem to be acting normally. Thank you for your help!

Hello! Can you dip her break into undiluted nutri drench and some raw yolk, need to get her nutrition levels up. Does she feel skinny?
She doesn't feel skinny, but we do have nutridrench and eggs. We'll try that, but she's asleep now. Should we wake her and try to get her to drink?

Oh no! I'm so sorry, look for mold, foul smelling stuff where she could have gotten into. Check the feed for mold. Smell it yourself, it should smell like grain. Wash the water and feed containers thoroughly.

Oh no! I'm so sorry, look for mold, foul smelling stuff where she could have gotten into. Check the feed for mold. Smell it yourself, it should smell like grain. Wash the water and feed containers thoroughly.
We get fresh feed almost weekly. And the water containers are washed with soap every 3-5 days. However, tomorrow I'll certainly take your advice. The rest of our flock seem to be fine. This was so quick, I can't help but think snake bite. I'll check her tomorrow for any bite sites. Thanks for your advice.

Ok, that's really good, check the areas where they forage, the black slimy stuff coming out of her makes me think of mold or something really rotten.
So this morning (early) my wife reminded me that day before yesterday the girls were out free ranging, and one of them dug up a dead frog. As they do with some special foods they dig up (worms, insects) they played keep away. We remember they all chased each other with that frog hanging out of their beaks. I don't know who ended up eating it, but this could be the cause she died. Any thoughts on a poisonous frog being injested?

Where are you located? Are you sure it was dead and not hibernating? Frogs bury themselves when they need to go into stasis.
Alabama. Well, it looked dead when we saw them all vieing for it, limp and no movement. I know frogs can be poisonous, so this could be the reason she died.

Back
Top Bottom